Help

Special Education

When to start pulling students?

>

Teachercat2

When to start pulling students?
Old 09-04-2017, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am starting as a self contained/resource room teacher this year and I am wondering when everyone generally begins pull out services??
At my first job when I was all self contained, I had my students from day one because I was their only teacher. When I moved to resource room only, I started pulling students about a week or 2 into school at the request of classroom teachers.
Here I am kind of both positions? All of my students have gen ed classrooms but some of my students come to me for almost all academics and then I have others that come for just 30-60 min of instructional time. So I was leaning towards letting them stay in their rooms for at least the first short week to get to know their class routines and classmates. But when I talked to another sped teacher she suggested taking them after the first day.. and that seemed very soon to me. I would also be in the rooms supporting if I didn't pull them. What do you all think?

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-04-2017, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would ask your admin to see if there is a policy already in place at the school, or a general expectation of what's been done before. If you work with several gen ed teachers, IME there is no way you can please everyone, so I wouldn't try to rely on just what they request. I work with 13 different gen ed teachers and any day I pick to start pull outs, someone is furious that it's too early and someone is furious that it's too late/we should have started earlier.

I teach resource and see kids for 30-60 minutes per day. We start school on a Thursday, so in my ideal world I'd pull kids the following Monday. I understand wanting them to get used to their routine and new teacher, but coming with me is part of their routine, and at my school most teachers are doing regular academics by that Monday rather than "getting to know you" stuff. I would think that especially for your kids that are doing all academics with you, it doesn't really make sense for them to start a routine in their gen ed room that they're never going to do again.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to pull that early because there is always some sort of "drama." Two years, we had extremely needy kids that should have been self-contained but were put in my mild/moderate program (long story) that needed constant 1:1. One year, our second sped teacher position went unfilled until a month into the school year, and I wasn't given clear direction on what I was supposed to be doing (preparing for a sub, preparing to take all the kids, etc.) so I couldn't even make a schedule. This year, I thought things were finally on track for me to start early, and I was informed 2 days into the school year that I needed to give an extremely lengthy diagnostic reading test to each of my 25 students. I opted to do that prior to starting services so I didn't have to cancel things later, and when all was said and done and I wasn't able to start until the 4th week of school.

Last edited by Haley23; 09-04-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

As with the PP
Old 09-04-2017, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

when I was doing pullout/resource in the elementary, I tried to make sure to begin the first Monday after the short week. Our school was huge on providing services beginning to end.

We too are generally pushed to begin academics right away. I would not wait very long.

I agree with checking with the other SpEd teachers and see what the protocol is for that school.

Good luck.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your input! I used to work in a school where no one was happy with when I started pulling kids so I know how you feel..
You have a really good point that for some of my students, their regular routine will be to be leaving the classroom for most of the day. So you are right it doesn't really make sense to wait very long.
That is really too bad that testing took up the first four weeks of the school year! All that time you could have been teaching! Thanks again!

Teachercat2

Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for your input! I did ask another sped teacher but I am the only pull out sped teacher. The others are inclusion.. so I don't know if there is a set protocol.

busybeing

At least a week with the gen ed kids
Old 09-04-2017, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oh wow... I came here to post on the EXACT SAME TOPIC!!! Lol...

I also teach in a room where the students receive all of their ELA and math instruction from me, but they are "pushed in" for science/social studies as well as specials (i.e. art, gym, health, music, etc.), and obviously lunch and recess.

This will be my fourth year teaching in this model... I've never worked with more than three gen. ed teachers and in the past ALL of them wanted to have my students for at least all day on the very first day of school. Usually, they would want them for the whole first week, then I would start with the full pull out schedule on the second week (usually the first full week). This worked well because the kids could get to know their peers in their gen. ed room, form some loose friendships and at least feel comfortable approaching their gen ed peers during unstructured times (lunch, recess). So important socially, for all kids.

This year, I am in a new district and one of the gen. ed teachers has already told me that she's going to do math/ELA activities to level her gen. ed students on day 1... implying that I should be pulling my students already... on the first day...

As a special education teacher, I have no problems with pulling kids from day 1, just because I personally love routine and I like to get all of my baseline assessment done as soon as I can! This way, I can create and start to run groups as soon as possible and I feel like I get to deliver their individualized services as quickly as I can. But, that's my perspective as an ADULT. From a kid's perspective, I also believe that for kids to feel "integrated" they need to view their general education classroom as their home base and to view my room as a safe satellite for learning. This takes time and definitely doesn't happen if kids are pulled during the first week, IMO.

I'd honestly just have a candid discussion with the gen. ed teachers. If you feel your kids need to spend more time in their gen. ed classroom during the first few weeks, be honest and let them know your philosophy/reasoning. If they disagree, that's okay too, it means it's a good time to make some compromises. Gen e dan
busybeing is offline   Reply With Quote