Help

Special Education

Need help with K student with autism

>

Haley23

Need help with K student with autism
Old 09-04-2017, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am getting a K student who was previously in a self-contained autism program in another state. My district doesn't have a program specifically for ASD- we only have "mild" "moderate" and "significant" needs programming. My director is making us do a reeval on the student to see which one of the programs he would best fit in. Since we're the student's home school, he'll be with us for at least that time period.

The student will be starting at my school on Wednesday. We're "mild" programming and believe it or not I've actually never had a student formally diagnosed with ASD before. Not surprisingly, his rote skills are excellent, and since pretty much all beginning K skills are rote he'll be far above peers academically at this point. The IEP also states that his adaptive skills are fine. Parents told me he has constant meltdowns and has sensory needs, specifically with being very sensitive to noise. In the meeting, which was a quiet space with 4 adults (none of whom were speaking loudly), he kept covering his ears and saying "Ow." I'm extremely nervous about how he's going to react to a regular K classroom with all the noise and everything else going on. Our K classes are about 28 kids and for most of the day there is only one adult in the room.

His IEP wasn't very forthcoming about accommodations or strategies for him, I'm guessing because these things were naturally occurring in his self-contained program. I'm going to make a picture schedule for him, and if/then chart with visuals, and help the teacher make a calm down spot within the classroom. I do have some noise cancelling headphones we can try also, if he's willing to wear them. What else should I be doing to prepare for this student? Anything specifically to help with sensory issues?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 09-04-2017, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also have a kindergarten student this year with autism...he has a full time aide

I'm using a picture schedule, first then chart, headphones, a chew necklace, frequent built in breaks, math and reading taught one on one in sped room, lots of social skills modeled and taught in reg classroom, and ignoring negative behaviors (student has limited language) and rewarding pro-social behaviors with lots of smiles and praise and high fives��

I'd really love to hear what works for you this year!

I also have sensory breaks in sped room....my student loves swinging so I have one in my room...he also loves tactile play with kinetic sand
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Try..
Old 09-04-2017, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I've had students with autism in a gen ed room centers can be really confusing and overwhelming. So you could make some visual to help with that time (since so much of K is centers based).
Also a personal timer or visual timer could be helpful. So if this student is anxious about transitions that could help.
Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-07-2017, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thankfully, the parents pitched a fit when they heard that their child was going from a self-contained setting to a "mild" setting with minimal supports. They insisted that he immediately be placed in the SSN program per his previous IEP, which is what should have been done in the first place anyway. It's rare for us to get a parent that both understands "the system" and is willing to advocate for their child in my district. I'm glad it worked out for everyone, but it's frustrating that the right thing wasn't being done in the first place.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote