Help

Third Grade

numbers mixed up and backwards

>

Kyteachmath

numbers mixed up and backwards
Old 09-05-2017, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a third grade student who is repeatedly writing numbers backwards. She also struggles with telling 2s from 6s. Once I knew that about the 2s I started making sure I wrote them without a loop.
She also struggles with place value and reading numbers.

Any suggestions for helping her?

Kyteachmath is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thoughts...
Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have students who do the same thing. I make them erase and rewrite...very quietly so other students do not know it is happening.

Is there a card/resource you can give her so she can see the way the number are made? She can refer to it when making her numbers.

As far as reading numbers...begin with single digit flashcards. Then move to two digit numbers in the teens...then the twenties...and so on. Perhaps you can have an aide work with her or send home a set of flashcards so her parents can work with her for a few minutes each night.
--Show the child the card. The child says the number.
--Lay six to ten flashcards on a table top in random order. Say a number. The child points to the number.
--Lay five flashcards (like 7, 4, 6, 8, and 5) on a table top in random order. Have her identify the numbers and then put them in order from smallest to largest.

I would also give her a hundred chart and ask her to find numbers on it. Example: Find the number 14. Find the number 22.

I would also dictate numbers to her so she can practice writing them. Example: Write 15. Write 26.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Discalculia
Old 09-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Dyscalculia

She may have trouble seeing the numbers due to dyscalculia...problem with how the brain sees numbers... Or not.

Sometimes students are helped when they build the numbers out of play dough... or paint them on paper... or try to draw them in sand, salt, flour....etc...

There are tons of books on the subject... we all learn differently...

It's like having dyslexia and reading; only the problem is numerical. She'll need to be shown how to read the numbers and the place values from the RIGHT to the LEFT for addition, subtraction and multiplication and place values.... Division may be a little different...
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote