Help

Kindergarten

Nipping bad behavior in the bud

>

Lanieob

Nipping bad behavior in the bud
Old 09-06-2017, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Advice please!!!! Large kindergarten class- severely AHHD boy with para- several other boys with great difficulty working quietly, or even having snack quietly- they are very loud, squirmy. I have taken choice time ( get to choose fun things to do) at the end of the day- they draw a picture of appropriate behavior- then process with me- losing choice. Does not seem to be working- I feel like a drill sargeant- but I feel like I have to be consistent at the beginning to straighten them out. ADHD boy is just who he is - can't help it- it is some of the other boys that are the problem. Any great ideas???

Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 09-06-2017, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

choice time may need to occur more frequently throughout the day at random times. Have a talk with the offenders at those times.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinder1993

Ditto
Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a class of 28, one para with a severe needs kiddo she can't leave. Lots of busy bodies, lots of young boys.

To keep my sanity, I'm getting them up and moving every 10 minutes or so. During math, they come to carpet, go to desks, carpet, back of room etc. it sounds backwards, but helps keep attention longer.

As for choice time, I only take that away if they have hurt another person or misused that time (i.e. Throwing things). I feel strongly that they need time to decompress in order to get their brains learning ready, not to mention social skills are learned during choice time and kids really don't get those at home.

I have resorted to taking time from recess this week though (which I NEVER do) because I have several who will not stop talking!! It has worked wonders for this group...and they don't miss more than 2-3 minutes at a time.

Good,luck, things will get better (hopefully!)
Kinder1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 09-16-2017, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know if everyone is allowed to do this but I am using 123 Magic and it's been working beautifully. If a child talks out of turn (or any other rule breaking behavior) I tell them "That's 1 for talking out of turn." If they continue the behavior after 30 seconds or so and/or break another rule I say "That's 2." If they break a third rule or even the same rule three times I say "That's 3 go take a timeout." I have a designated spot where they go for a 5 minute timeout. I discretely flip a timer and when it's finished I say "Please let me know when you are ready to join us." By having them raise their hand and tell me they are ready they are agreeing to follow classroom rules again and I welcome them back.

At lunch everyone gets a reset. I've been keeping track of what rules they break on ClassDojo with a 0 so that parents know how students are doing. I only take a point on Dojo when they get a timeout. So far it seems to work even with the kiddo who had extreme behaviors in PreK. The first few times he got timeout he crawled under the table to timeout or tried not to go. I just ignored the crawling or reminded him if he chose to not go to timeout then he was choosing to do his timeout at free choice or recess.

We have two short (10-15 minute) free choice periods, one mid morning and one at the end of the day. I've only ever taken free choice at the end of the day and only for children who have refused to finish work. I then make them finish it at free choice. If they are working hard I always let them stop 3-5 minutes before it's over and I have never taken the first free choice in the morning. We also have a 15 minute recess after lunch. I'd only take recess for severe behaviors or repeated behaviors that haven't gotten better with other methods and then I'd only take part of it to address the behavior. The exception to this is if the severe behavior happened at recess time. Hitting at recess for example would lead to no recess the next day.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote