Help

Special Education

Assessing math/literacy for elementary mild cognitive

>

crystalina

Assessing math/literacy for elementary mild cognitive
Old 09-06-2017, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need to start assessing my elementary students who have been diagnosed with mild cognitive disabilities.

For literacy, I'm thinking of assessing alphabet letter and sound recognition, print awareness, dolce words and sentence writing. Am I missing anything? I plan to do these first, then a Fountas and Pinnell assessment.

For math, I'm not sure what to do.

Any suggestions? I feel lost right now.

crystalina is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirrelly1

math
Old 09-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have access to the Brigance Assessments? I have used that to assess a variety of math skills for elementary level. They have placement tests for grade level and assessments for various skills. I like it because you can pick and choose which are appropriate for your students. The only thing I have found though is that the grade level placements are not common core aligned so are often much easier than what they do in class.
Squirrelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

busybeing

Old 09-10-2017, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

All sounds good to me - I know though, it's so weird... we have a million different assessments for phonics/reading fluency and even comprehension but not a single one exists for math!

For math, I just give a basic ten question assessment (and then two word problems) on whatever skill I am going to teach right before I teach it. It's more like gen. ed. in that way.

There are also lots of wonderful resources on TpT. Not sure what grade you teach but I teach third and I find that giving my students an "end of year second grade" type of assessment can actually give me a lot of good data through error analysis.

When I did pull out, I'd find/create materials that would track specific skills... for example, if the goal/objective was to identify the value of a digit in a three digit number, I'd print a worksheet requiring the student to id the value...

Hope that helps!
busybeing is offline   Reply With Quote