Help

Special Education

I have no idea what to do...

>

Teachercat2

I have no idea what to do...
Old 09-07-2017, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am feeling very stressed with the start of the school year for a number of reasons...
I am beginning a self contained classroom but I also have some pull out students coming in at times.. a would say the majority of my students are behavioral or lack the motivation to do any work.. but also have more moderate disabilities. So it's basically like they are struggling and they also really don't want to do any work either.. like no effort. I am hoping to change this!
My other issue is what to do with these kids!? They are all different levels and I have no curriculums.. except a guided reading program that is not even really appropriate for them.
I am just at a loss.. but trying to keep positive and hope it'll all get figured out..

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Being positive is probably the best
Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

thing you CAN do!

I teach self contained MS/HS ED/BD. We focus on reading, writing and math academically and then Life Skills: functional, behavioral and social for starters. I have 8 students but no two are on even similar levels. Almost all of the lessons are individualized to some point.

First thing first and foremost--Read the IEPs--really study the Goals and the Present Levels. This should give you an idea where to start the lessons. I would start with rules and procedures, especially for your behavior kids.

Behaviors really set the tone in the classroom and few good lessons can succeed if behaviors are not in control. It doesn't matter how well planned the lessons are if they are not prepped to receive them.

I would also set up mini groups within your class for those with similar levels, IEP goals and services. Since your pullout kids only come at specific times for specific services, set those first. You have a lot of flexibility within your self contained kids. Move their lessons around as needed to get it all in.

Don't feel bad if you need to split up certain activities and lessons. Their attention spans are probably short so they may have two mini lessons in math rather than one long one.

For the self contained group, I do need to provide Science and History but actually use a little content area to disguise/spice up more reading comprehension and writing activities. New or different content is just a bonus.

Mainly, don't try to solve all of their problems all at once. Take the time to get into a good routine. Problem solve and make changes as necessary.

Make a master calendar and put all of your key dates for your caseload on it: IEPs, Re-evals, student birthdays, days off, big deadlines and so on.

Utilize any paras to the maximum extent. Make a system for behaviors. Make a system for filing, copying, etc.

You can do this!
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Great advice by the pp. I just wanted to add that as far as motivation/doing work, I have always found that kids are far more motivated in pull-out settings than they are in their general ed rooms. Especially if their disabilities are more significant, think how difficult it must be for them when they're in their gen ed room.

When I first started teaching I felt like I had to make everything "fun" or "game like" because I had the perception that kids in SPED don't really like academics. I have found time and time again that my kids are happiest and most engaged in activities they feel like they can do, even if it's something that seems "boring" to me. For example, when I first started my current job my para showed me some math workbooks left in the room. I immediately dismissed them because it was literally just like 200 pages of computation problems; there were not even any pictures or graphics or anything like that. Within the first couple weeks of school the kids kept begging me to get their math books out. They liked it because they felt successful. Some of those same kids would throw a fit rather than do work in their gen ed room.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Madaly320

Old 09-10-2017, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just wanted to say I am in a similar position, except my self contained class is just that. I don't provide services to any pull out kiddos. I have 8 kids who are more severe, Autism. Very challenging behaviors. I have 2 who I can't seem to find anything that is reinforcing enough to get them to work. One will roll around on the floor while swearing and the other will run around destroying the room while hitting and biting anyone who comes near. I have found that I am so worried about what I am not doing academically that I forget that I can't even get work done if I don't have behaviors somewhat under control. With my type of class, many people don't understand the severity of what I deal with and I find gen ed teachers and sped teachers who teach mild/moderate are always asking me what curriculum and reading program, etc I use. I am like umm..my kids are learning letters, letter sounds and learning how not to become aggressive at the word no.
Different worlds.
Now I am just rambling...but I want to say that I get it. Some days I feel like I am doing nothing and then I feel overwhelmed that I am not doing enough...
Madaly320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Wow..
Old 09-10-2017, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh my goodness! That sounds really tough! I can totally understand why you wouldn't worry about the curriculum! I think for your students it sounds like behavior is a big part of their learning at school.
I have a few students that have already refused to do work or put any effort and we've only been in school for 2 days.. lol. I guess it comes with the territory. I hope that your students come around as the year goes on!

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote