Help

Special Education

15 min for social skills

>

dreamer68

15 min for social skills
Old 09-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new special ed teacher, my students are grade K. He requires 75 min per week for social skills. He does not have academic goals, but mainly work habits and social skills. He is a smart little boy, but shows some traits of autism, but not addressed like that in the IEP. He has been hitting and spitting other kids this week.

Any ideas of how can I put some social skills in practice?

dreamer68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Just based on what you shared
Old 09-09-2017, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome to PT!

Quote:
shows some traits of autism
I am not sure what that means exactly but if he misses social cues and subtle points, I would start with some very clear instruction. " This is school. We do not hit or spit at school.' Do not say it with anger but be very clear and straight forward. Be careful with your words.

Remember too that behavior is mostly communication. What is occurring when he hits and spits? Can you observe and/or set up an FBA? Is he frustrated, anger, what? Can you teach him a replacement behavior that is acceptable and still does the job? Teach him some specific strategies to avoid the situation.

In 15 minutes, you can do a social story on the desired behavior and role play/practice the replacement behavior/strategy so that it comes to mind first. The gen ed teacher will need to be on board from the get go. When he does interact successfully using the strategy or without the misbehavior, he needs reinforcement pretty immediately. That part will be up to her if you only get 15 min a day with him. The reward/reinforcement needs to be something he cares about. If he doesn't care about XXX (stickers or smiley faces, etc.), those will not be effective rewards.

Good luck.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome to PT! You can look up Social Thinking for a start for some ideas to teach this boy social skills. Being super clear and explicit with instructions (the "rules") about how to appropriately engage with others is important. Are you supposed to be teaching these social skills in isolation, or in groups? Often, if social skills are goals (and there should be specific social goals to teach him to at least give some direction), it falls to a counselor at a school.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 09-10-2017, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Welcome! Yes...Social thinking....an amazing curriculum that I use all year to teach social skills....Superflex and the gang of unthinkables.....also social thinking for the younger set with whole body thinking....get the books! Michelle Garcia Winner...socialthinking.com

I am starting the year with emotions....how do others feel when you.....?

I have a kindergartener with autism and he pushes and shoves and knocks things over...a bull in a china cabinet ....we are focusing on facial expressions to show emotions

I teach social skills formally every morning to a small group and informally one on one during recess and play time
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

dreamer68

Old 09-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you. I'll look at it.

dreamer68

Old 09-10-2017, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You are right about being careful with the words. Something I need to share with the gen ed teacher. Thank you for your feedback, I truly appreciate it.

Tounces

Social skills during recess question
Old 10-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How do you informally teach social skills during recess? Iím supposed to do that but donít know what to do.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote