Help

Special Education

Move to gen ed?

>

teacher0729

Move to gen ed?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering if any of you have ever moved or considered moving to regular ed from special ed. This is only my second year teaching special ed but I am dually certified in elementary and special ed. Some reasons I'm considering...

1. I teach reading all day long and miss teaching math and writing. I co-teach three grade levels of reading and I do 2 30 min sessions of pull out reading intervention.

2. It is a little depressing that I'm always working to catch kids up. I have my 4th graders as 5th graders this year and it is really nice to see the growth they have made but I have a new 7th grader reading at a 2nd grade level and I'm just feeling overwhelmed that it is my sole responsibility to improve his reading.

3. Respect- gen ed teachers just seem more respected where I work. I don't really feel part of a team

4. I'm constantly relying on other people... for the classes I co teach which is most of my day, I have to follow what they want to do mostly and then add my own spin on it to make it work. Grade level teachers make changes in schedules etc. and it's always messing up my plans.

5. I miss being able to come up with my own creative fun lessons instead of using the direct instruction curriculums. I would do this when I co teach but the gen ed teacher already has a way they usually do things.

I do love SPED because I am able to really know my kids well on a truly individual basis. I do love my job but just thinking about what I would do if a gen ed position opened in my district. Anyone else ever thought about it?

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-13-2017, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I moved to gen ed my 3rd year of teaching, for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I liked gen ed better than sped, but unfortunately my gen ed job was in a horrible school with an absolute nutcase principal. I had to go back to sped in order to get a position in a better school. I was offered one gen ed position too, but it was in another area of the state that I really didn't want to relocate to.

I'm now in my 8th year of teaching and at this point I feel like I've been in sped too long to get out. I don't think anyone is really going to be interested in hiring me for a gen ed position when I had one year of experience doing that 5 years ago. Besides that, schools that may consider hiring a sped teacher for gen ed are often really high needs schools (like my former school) where the majority of the class has significant academic and behavior issues.

I've really thought about trying to find an intervention/title 1 teacher position, because I'd love to just be able to teach small groups all day. They also don't have the paperwork we do, and when students are "too difficult," you can pass them along to the sped teacher instead! This plan was a total bust as I looked all summer and there was literally not even a single interventionist posting to apply for!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

redmonkey

Old 09-15-2017, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I started out in gen. ed. and taught 10 years. I have been doing special ed. for the last 7. I have also considered going back to gen. ed. for many of the same reasons you listed. At the end of the day my heart belongs in special ed. so for now I plan to stay there. If you really want to go to gen. ed. and a position opens then I think you should consider it. If you try it and decide it is not for you then you can always return to special ed.
redmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Depends on your personality
Old 09-15-2017, 11:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught special ed for 5 years before moving to regular ed for a couple years, and now after a year off I am back to special ed.

I think your personality has a lot to do with which would be right for you. I had exactly the same thoughts as you before I switched; I wanted more creativity, I wanted to get to teach science and social studies, and the respect was a huge factor too. A lot of times I felt like a second class teacher and left out of the loop often.

However, while I think I did a good job teaching gen ed for a few years it was very overwhelming for me. The amount of children you are responsible for at one time was too much, the constant behavior issues, the pressure put on you by admin (that I did not have as a sped teacher)... it was just too much for me. Also the noise level in the classroom bothered me (I taught K). I much preferred the quiet of the resource room with a small group of kids.

Anyway, I think if you want to you should give it a try otherwise you'll always wonder if it was the right move for you. But just know that the grass is not always greener... it just depends on what is best for you.
Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Old 09-16-2017, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teachercat2, those are good points. It's true that I don't feel pressure from admin really for standardized tests etc. like general ed teachers do... and the small number of kids to be responsible for their learning and just throughout the day is also really nice. Thanks for making me think

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote