Help

Fifth Grade

Classroom behavior and talking

>

carrieSAtoUSA

Classroom behavior and talking
Old 09-14-2017, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach at an international school in Thailand. We teach in English and, in general, the students' English is pretty good.

I have a 5th grade class that I teach Math and Science to, but they are INCREDIBLY talkative. I mean, they talk non-stop all the time! I have taught for 25 years but have never experienced this. I use Class Dojo, we have school incident reports, and I have discussed their behavior with them, but nothing seems to work. My team teacher (who teaches them LA and SS) has a system where she makes them write 100 or 200 lines when they are not doing the right thing. I don't see much of a point to this, except that they try to do it in my class!

I have separated them to sit boy/girl, but that doesn't always help either. I found that the best thing is keeping them on task ALL the time, which is not always possible.

I have a couple of behavior problems in this class, but I have managed it that they don't give me much trouble in class any more. It's just the general chatting that is driving me nuts lol!

If anyone has some ideas for me, I would be thrilled!

carrieSAtoUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 09-14-2017, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My daughter taught in Thailand for four years and I volunteered in the schools for three summers. The first thing you need to know is that it is not you. In Thailand culture people do talk while others are speaking. One of the things teachers struggled with while I was there was kids constantly chatting. We found that using some Whole Brain Teaching Strategies were helpful.
http://wholebrainteaching.com/beginner/

You can also find videos on youtube.

I always used the class/yes strategy with my fifth grades and sometimes used the scoreboard if I needed to. If you have space, you might want to temporarily put the students in rows so you can monitor who is doing the talking more closely.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

carrieSAtoUSA

Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! Yes, I do use some of the whole brain teaching methods, but these aren't very effective. It is nice to know it's not just me haha!

I do the class/yes method with different tones, sounds and songs, and it works really well with my 4th graders but not with my 5th.

I may need to do rows, as much as I hate that...but you're right. It will help pull out those who are talking.

Thanks again!

1956BD

Do you have study carrels?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I found that since they sit in groups (usually) and are facing each other it is difficult not to engage in a conversation. Since group work is good for them I left the groups sitting together for those types of activities.

Then I gave them study carrels when I expected them to work independently and silently. The study carrel limited their view of one another and is a visual reminder to stay focused and quiet. I often played instrumental music during this time as well so it was not too quiet. It worked well after some practice.

I kind of alternate between group learning and independent learning during the day.

http://www.classroomproducts.com/3si...yABEgKUcfD_BwE

The carrels come in different sizes. Mine have lasted many years. I stored them in a big, tall laundry basket.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

carrieSAtoUSA

Study carrels
Old 09-19-2017, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have never heard of them! Thanks for sharing. My problem is that even when I'm teaching, the students chat - especially those with limited English. And I know the problem with those students is that they are not understanding,so they would rather chat (even though they are only supposed to speak English). When we have independent work or tests, I move their desks apart and they are pretty good about that.

I am using Class Dojo and have decided to put a chart up for them to see where they need to earn a certain amount of points to get a prize (chew gum in class, etc) and then points for a class prize.

1956BD

Sounds like a good plan
Old 09-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good luck! Let us know how it works.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 09-20-2017, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Fifth graders worry a lot about being "cool" and are very social compared to fourth graders. You might have the class come up with a different quiet signal as a group ( and your guidance). They might respond to that better. Also, I had the class make appointment cards where they had different students to meet with quickly to discuss what we were studying. I would teach a concept they have them go to an appointment to pair share what they learned. This allowed them to get some of their "talking" out. If you want to know more on how I set it up, let me know. I always paced my class so that my students had a short break every ten minutes. The break was 30seconds or less when I was teaching and I got them out of their seats after about 20 minutes for a quick 2 minute break.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

carrieSAtoUSA

My time - your time
Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So, I created an erasable board where, if I have to stop teaching because they are talking, I write a mark on the board and they owe me a minute of their time after lunch. Last week 5th grade built up 8 minutes. This week, they only built up 2! I do try to write down the names of the students who are doing the right thing and exclude them from some of that time. So far, it's been effective!