Being Forced to sell candy?

>

Crystal W

Crystal W

Being Forced to sell candy?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Greetings all,

I am studying early childhood education and in the meantime started working at a preschool and have a question?

I have never posted here before and I am looking for some advice.

I was given a box of candy by the director and told to sell as much of it as I could, which I am fine with.
I sold some to my parents, my grandparent took some and my boyfriend bought some. I'm not a candy eater and nor are any of my friends really. I still have about 80% of a box left, which didn't bother me until I got note in my work mailbox saying that I must sell the entire box?!?!? I don't think they can punish me for not selling the entire box can they? This just rubbed me the wrong way, has this happened to anyone else; am I just overreacting?

Thanks - CW

esl

No they cannot, unless it is in your contract
Old 10-08-2017, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

would be my answer.

Is this a fundraiser for the school? Were you asked, or told?

I would respectfully tell the director that you have done your best and have sold X amount to yourself, family, and friends (thus preventing her/him from suggesting 'how about your family, friends?), while giving her/him the money you have collected. If she persists, say that you are not comfortable pushing any more, that these people don't even eat candy, they bought some to support you, and the school (which is probably true). As a student, you cannot afford to spend money on things you don't need or use.

If it turns out that you are expected to support the school financially, point out that you already support by buying XYZ for your classroom (if you do, though you should not be expected to). Say that you don't earn enough to be able to do so, and this was not mentioned in your interview, it is not in the policy manual or any documents you were given.....

Stick your ground, this should not be happening.
esl is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 10-08-2017, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I never had to sell fundraisers for my school unless I wanted to. My own children always had to sell candy and the entire box had to be sold. Dh and I took the candy to our jobs, sold to relatives, and neighbors. If there was candy left, I bought the rest. I would simply return what you sold along with the candy and explain you sold what you could.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote