Putting students in self contained all day? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Putting students in self contained all day?

>

Teachercat2

Putting students in self contained all day?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am just wondering if anyone knows if there is certain criteria for removing a student completing from the general ed classroom and placing them full day in a self contained room?
My students go to a "homeroom" to unpack and pack up, go to specials, lunch/recess, but all academics are with me.
As far as I know most of my students have mild/moderate delays and are far behind academically, however for some it doesn't seem like many interventions or any differentiation is being done within the gen ed classroom.
I have one student who went from having 5x 30 min pull out for reading and math for half a year in 1st grade to full day self contained this year! This is mainly due to behavior..
But I am wondering how this student can just be taken completely out of the gen ed classroom for basically having mild learning disabilities, ADHD, and behavioral issues?? When no differentiation/intervention was done at all in the classroom and she was only picked up by sped 6 months ago...

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 09-16-2017, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm amazed that this still happens because in my district it takes an act of congress to get a kid put in self contained even if they are severe. A kid with mild learning disabilities would NEVER be placed in a self contained class, unless it was a student who qualified primarily as a student with an emotional disturbance, with behavior so severe that it necessitated being put into a self contained behavior class. Does this describe your student? If not I would speak to your sped supervisor and tell them you think this child's lre is being violated.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

I agree
Old 09-17-2017, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes I may have to speak to someone because I just don't agree with a child being taken completely out of gen ed due to ADHD.. yes her skills are very low but only due to behavior and attention (ex. Refusal to do work).
A kid like this in my old district would get 5x 30 in reading and math.. and the teachers would modify her work in the classroom..
the gen ed teachers at this school don't seem to know how to do anything related to kids that aren't right on grade level. They just flounder. It's hard because I'm new and don't want to rock the boat too much..
Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-24-2017, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Placement is decided by the IEP team, agreed upon, and written up in the IEP. Other than that, there aren't any criteria that must be followed as far as skill level or behaviors or whatever. It's strictly done by the IEP team (which includes the parents). If you feel like the placement is inappropriate, you have the option of asking for an updated IEP team meeting and discussing placement. However, being new and not knowing why/how this happened, you'd be wise to just talk to your supervisor first, who hopefully knows that history. Do you know how parents feel about this? Sometimes parents request a more secluded placement (ime) for reasons of their own. Sometimes they demand inclusion for kids who struggle in that environment. I'd try to find out the history about this placement change. I'm assuming it happened when you weren't on the IEP team for this child.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote