Career Decisions

A Need for Change

>

BrndOutTeach

A Need for Change
Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Dear teachers,

I come here to ask for help, suggestions, or any kind of support. I have been a teacher for almost a decade, and I know I have so many more years before I can retire. However, I cannot do it anymore. I no longer enjoy it. I feel like a soulless robot throughout the day. Each day I come home later and later. On the weekends I do not see the light of day due to non-stop lesson planning, grading, data analysis, and data entry. I am sure you all can relate to this. I know, some may say, I should have known...and I have.

For a while now I have been contemplating to quit teaching and do something else. At this point I would even go flip burgers for a basic wage as long as I know when I am done, I am done.

A second week into the school year I am already physically and emotionally ill.

So, my question is, what kind of job can I get with my teaching degree? For a while I have been thinking of getting into medical field. I know I may return to school, if I decide to go such a route. But for now, anything will do, but teaching. I am just too damn (pardon my language) tired...

Thank you all for listening and making useful suggestions.

BrndOutTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

markm

have fun
Old 09-21-2017, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was in the first few years of teaching I felt very much the same. I woke up one day and thought life is just too short for this. I decided that day I would have fun in teaching. If will have fun with the kids. If my administrators don't like it they would just have to force me to find a different job. Always worked out since then. I know they work hard with evaluation and stupid pointless paperwork but try to have some fun with the kids. Many years after that they would have to come down and say ok school is over for the Summer you can go home until mid August
markm is offline   Reply With Quote

ILoveLeos87

I feel ya...
Old 09-24-2017, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi! I have not been teaching as long as you have (only 2 years), but it's my second career and I couldn't agree with you more. What I find disheartening is that the most enthusiastic, upbeat, and dedicated veteran teacher I know, who went with the flow for all the changes, is now questioning her job. I no longer see light at the end of the tunnel, career wise.
I got some advice from another teacher on ProTeacher...she said to find the district that is perfect for you, not the perfect district. I'm wondering if that is something that could apply to you, as well...?
I would like to try leaving my high-pressure district in a high income area for a district where I can reach the kiddos on a more authentic level, giving them a safe, warm learning environment without the intense pressure of admin and parents in my face telling me how much data they need and how to do my job every other day.
I don't know if a change of scenery would work for you...but that's what someone told me. But, as I said, I'm only 2 years in and I'm already understanding burn out. If you choose a change, I've heard that teachers have made great transitions to corporate recruiters. All the hope in the world to you!
ILoveLeos87 is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 09-24-2017, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm similar to you...I've taught over a decade in three grades two schools two districts and right now I just sub occasionally and spend time with my kid. My former coworker says they all hate it now and would do anything to get out of the teaching career. So it's not just me. I was nonrenewed(resigned instead) from my last job and can't seem to get a decent job now. But it already makes me a bit unhappy...having to work insane extra hours w no pay, hardly any prep time, stress on evals etc...the list is endless. Sometimes that stuff makes me miserable. My career situation is complicated. I am thinking of HR. I used to think maybe a 911 dispatcher. Maybe some side educational type company. But I'm stuck and overwhelmed...I just don't know... I may consult w a career counselor to help....
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Suggestion

Suggestion

Alternative Employment
Old 09-29-2017, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've worked at 15 different schools in 5 different districts and can tell you that finding a "good fit" is just wishful thinking. Some teachers are fortunate to be able to enjoy their jobs, but the majority wish they could have retired yesterday. About 15 years ago, while teaching full-time, I augmented my income by working as a teacher-advisor for a homeschool program. I recall that those who worked full-time for the program were able to earn as much as $50K/year depending the number of students that they served. This might be an option for you if there is such a program in your area. Connect with homeschool parents and inquire about teacher-advisors that they work with to get some leads.

cattleya

my opinion
Old 10-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I still have my tests to take, but I already know that when I start to teach, it will be for a short time only, 2-3 years max. So far, I have found many jobs that a person with a teaching degree can do. Unfortunately for teaching, I want to have a life too, and not just work at a job from sun-up to sun-down where I am only paid for 8 hours a day. Sorry, but 30K per year to start where I am, does not pay for the 24/7 work that I will have to put into it.

College admissions counseling, talent search (for high school to college students), in fact, many jobs in education. Part-time associate professor at community college level, corporate training. Degree focused work like if you had an English degree, you could write and edit, write proposals and grants, fund-raise, work in journalism. You could teach part-time online.

I would look at the community college job openings semester by semester. I suppose, like teaching, June and July are the best times to apply.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote