Help

Kindergarten

What's your range of skills?

>

Sbkangas5

What's your range of skills?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Another post got me wondering... Just out of curiosity, what is the range of skills you have at the beginning of the year? We just finished assessments and grouping so it's fresh in my mind.

This year I have 5 "low" babies who know no letters or numbers, can't write their name (3 still don't recognize it after 4 weeks of school), etc. I had to teach them how to trace and it's very difficult for all but one of them. None can copy words in any sort of legible manner.

I have another 4 with some letter knowledge, no sounds, and very low phonemic awareness/concepts of print. They can copy words, though. And a couple know the few sight words we've done.

5 have some letter knowledge, some sounds, and high phonemic awareness/cap. They are doing great with copying as well as the sight words we've already learned.

Then I surprisingly have 7 that know all of their letters and sounds, very high phonemic awareness, and can already sound out simple words. A few are even sounding out words to write already.

No fluent readers at the start this year, although it's not unusual for me to have one.

It always amazes me the HUGE range of skills we have to start the year with! And the amazing amount of growth we see in kinder.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 09-16-2017, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm retired now but it always amazed me too. Almost every year I had a range of not knowing any letters to fluent reader with most somewhere in between. It was always interesting balancing the lessons.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is always a wide, wide range as they come in. I think as a group this is the lowest I've had for awhile. I have two who didn't recognize their own names and about six who can't write their first name. I don't have any who are really reading yet (which I actually prefer--so that's good, but surprising). How quickly they pick things up is always interesting to watch. I have 2 boys who could not write their names and didn't know letters. One can now mostly write his name and is soaking up everything like a sponge. He is quickly going to become one of my strongest readers. The other has about 3 letters of his name and still doesn't know many letter names.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2tchkdz

Old 09-21-2017, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

2 don't recognize, nor write name
3 recognize name but can't form the letters yet
19 PreA's
1 Level D very fluent reader
7 who know all or most letters
4 who know all or most sounds
10 who have good print concepts
on and on it goes...
1 on an IEP that requires I give him instructions several times and speak slowly. I think that is so funny because that is EVERYONE at this time of the year!
1 super defiant rascal
1 sneaky one
20 cuties to make me laugh and pull out my hair for the next year!

it'd be interesting to revisit this pondering at the end of the year or 1/2 way through.
Luv2tchkdz is offline   Reply With Quote