Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

MS behavior plans

>

readandweep

MS behavior plans
Old 09-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I may be moving to a middle school position.

I have previously taught special ed in grades K-6, but in a self-contained/resource setting.

The new job/jobs could possibly have me instructing in the traditional five-six sections of class per day in grade 6-8. Either special ed or regular ed.

I have procedure books such as Harry Wong and am very familiar with the Smart Classroom management blog.

Does anyone have any must dos as far a procedures and any tips for avoiding power struggles right off the bat?

This district is also big on building relationships with students. I know from experience that this takes time, consistency and riding out the "I hate you/you hate me" scenarios. Does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do to show I am at least making an effort to initially build relationships?

readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 09-18-2017, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

generally if students know that they are important to you personally, they will [mostly] perform for you accordingly. hormones and drama will pop up to make life harder, but if you let them know that you understand its hard for them too, that goes a long way.

that said, last week I was subbing an 8th grade math class where a young man who didn't know me walked in and told me "this will be your loudest class all day!" I responded, "no, probably not". Oh yes it will, he replied, we are rowdy!!. I calmly replied; " I raised a Green Beret, and adopted a 13 yr old street kid from the hood, I managed both of them at the same time.... I can handle you...son..."

some girls he was trying to impress giggled and he sat down, he didn't utter a peep all period...
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Snoopy_Do

Building Relationships
Old 10-14-2017, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Kind but firm. I greet my 6th graders at the door every day. I try to take an interest in them. Ask kids in band about the piece they are working on. Show your excitement when you see a student reading a book you like and give them other suggestions for books they might like.

Show your humanness. Admit when you make a mistake. I'm new to the school this year, and of course my kids are coming from elementary school, so I've kind of adopted the "we are in this together" attitude. Find out what small rewards the kids like and have them available. My kids are suckers for candy (ha), so that's what I keep on hand for them. I keep sharpened pencils available at all times. I gave up that battle a long time ago. My kids are really low income, and I will not let their lack of a pencil get in the way of their learning.

Those are what came to mind first. The fact that you want to connect with them is great! Good luck!

Snoopy_Do is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Whole Brain Teaching
Old 10-14-2017, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use Whole Brain Teaching with my 6th graders. It works well with this age group.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote