Help

The Job Search

interview tomorrow

>

whd507

interview tomorrow
Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I found a emergency position that needs to be filled about 90 miles from home, and I have an appointment in the morning. I have been subbing for three years, and have found that while I'm a very popular sub that is in demand every day, the pay just makes life too hard to continue. I also found that the combination of an initial certificate, and a Masters Degree in a non-education field has made landing a full time teaching job impossible around here where there are at least four schools cranking out new first year teachers (cheaper)

So here goes nothing, I think the 90 minutes of interstate driving will be fine, I've driven longer commutes for the same money. Guess I'll dig out the books on tape...lol

whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 09-18-2017, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good luck in your interview.
Lynnteach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-23-2017, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How did it go, whd? That seems like a long commute to me that will increase your gas needs (and may be really tricky in winter months, depending on where you live), but I know having benefits and a real salary will be really helpful! Hope it went well!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I haven't heard yet. If I do not hear by Monday I'll assume it's been filled since the principal said that they will decide on Friday. I have noticed in my attempts to get a teaching position here that unlike the private sector I rarely ever get any feedback about the job being filled. In fact I've only been notified it was filled once . In my previous career my bachelor's degree is in human resources and it's bad form to leave people hanging after you've interviewed them but that seems to be the norm in the education world which frankly seems odd but it does fit the stereotype that the education world is out of sync with the needs of employers out in the real world. The commute doesn't really bother me too much it's almost all interstate and yes the winter time would be more difficult but I do have a four-wheel drive vehicle for that purpose here in my part of the state it's very rural so it's common to drive that far for basic things. Thank you for checking back into this thread.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Fingers crossed you hear good news tomorrow. Books on tape is a great idea if you get that job!

I think it's ridiculous that there isn't at least some notification when the job has been filled in any education position. Even a mass email would do the trick.

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yep I've had 18 interviews in the past two years & not hearing back it's been filled is normal. It's rare when i have heard back.

I used to commute 70 miles...I can't imagine 20 more! I eventually moved down there....
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote