Help

Special Education

Professional Development questions

>

spedder1

Professional Development questions
Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning! I have been asked by my district to do some mentoring/training with self-contained low incidence (moderate to severe Intellectual Disabilities and Autism) classroom teachers. I have helped out at my old building, but now am being asked to help in other buildings, which is fine. I want to write a proposal to the district that they provide at least a half day of training prior to school starting to do a presentation and question/answer session with teachers in those classrooms. As a former self-contained teacher I know I became totally angry and frustrated sitting through beginning of the year meetings and trainings that had nothing to do with my students/classroom. So, what things would you like to know prior to stepping in a self-contained classroom? This training would apply to new teachers, teachers with experience in other special ed areas that are transitioning into self-contained, and experienced teachers whose populations are changing. In my district we are seeing fewer students in wheelchairs and more students who have minor physical impairments, moderate to severe ID and are very active, and children with moderate to severe ID who have some significant behaviors and even veteran teachers are struggling. Many are moving to other areas of special ed or into general ed because the job is almost impossible.
I appreciate your input.
Kathy

spedder1 is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Pd
Old 09-21-2017, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Available resources and curriculum.

I know I have changed district/jobs and often find myself buying materials when what I needed was sitting in a closet somewhere.

Assessments - what you give, what you don't give and priority of each assessment.

Grading - are you expected to give grades, how often, alternative report cards. How is this difference communicated to families? Are your students on the honor roll (yes, I know they are moderate severe).

Aides - how to train/motivate aides who are used to toleiting, feeding and being a loving presence, but are now expected to be a firm, proactive and engaged presence to prevent and remediate behaviors.

What works - I know I appreciated specific things like data sheets, lesson-plan templates, newsletter, curriculum maps. Things I could look at and edit to fit my needs.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

d0rkablex2

needs
Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

-Protocols/procedures in place in the school/program already for when a child goes into crisis or becomes unsafe to himself or others

-inclusion/integration- do the kids "push in" to general education classrooms for anything (specials, lunch, recess, special events, science, etc.) and what is the procedure for that?

-training on curriculum(s) available or guidance on where to find appropriate resources for the typical levels expected in that type of room

-contacts of people who the teacher can go to for meaningful assistance (such as other teachers who have taught the program or an administrator who used to teach in the program)

-guidance on IEP things that are specific to that type of classroom (what types of services, accommodations, etc. are considered "typical" for that type of room)

-assessments - training on whatever state assessment the children might be taking (will it be alt, will it not be alt, etc.), what "district" assessments are mandatory, which ones are optional, how to give an assessment or progress monitoring probe to a child who might not be able to orally communicate or physically respond)
d0rkablex2 is offline   Reply With Quote