Help

Substitute Teachers

Well letís see

>

CC96

Well letís see
Old 09-21-2017, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Letís see if I get banned; a student said I yelled at them, which is so not true, so waiting to see what happens.

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

when was yelling...
Old 09-21-2017, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since when was yelling by adults become so inappropriate? Isn't that part of disciplining? Tell me which parent does not do this with their kid? Teachers yelling does not mean being out of control. Gym teachers have to do it too. I have also worked with teachers use swear words with students. Mind you, it was in a school of hard knocks. So that was no biggie. Really...
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

CC96

Yelling
Old 09-21-2017, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, I do not think teachers need to yell at students, and I didnít, the student is not telling the truth.

mrsd5

"Yelling"
Old 09-22-2017, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was teaching full time, I had a grandma (who was raising her granddaughter) complain that I yelled at her all the time. One day, I was on plan time, and saw the girl in the hall. I asked to see her pass. Grandma was there, bringing her back from the orthodontist. She told me that I had yelled. Umm, no. I just happen to have a deeper voice that is naturally louder (great for teaching). Sigh.....
mrsd5 is online now   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Do the regular teachers
Old 09-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

at the school raise their voices to get attention? Do they use stronger voices to correct behavior in the hallways? Mimic the main classroom teachers.

KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 09-22-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I too have a large voice that I can really raise. I'm not yelling or screaming, just speaking louder to be heard over the din of conversation. Works great in the cafeteria or on the playground.

To me yelling or screaming indicates a loss of control and I am always in control.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I noticed
Old 09-22-2017, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I noticed that today they had someone come in and observe the student, however I suspect I was being observed also, which is totally good because the student did their typical thing and I related to them the same way I have been. I never yelled in the first place. So we will see.

Subtastic

Old 09-22-2017, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think you'll survive another day. Who gets banned over yelling? Schools are so afraid of parents these days that it seems all common sense goes out the window.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 09-22-2017, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A couple years ago, I subbed for a first grade class in an upper income school. I knew how things worked there, and knew that if I even looked at a student the wrong way, the parents would complain to the principal.

The students were switching from a very quiet activity to something a bit more hands-on, and were a bit talkative. They really weren't bad, but I wasn't sure how much noise the regular teacher tolerated. Some demand almost total silence, while others are more lenient. I decided to go with the lenient approach since it had been working well for me.

What happened next was unexpected. The regular teacher was in the next room working with a couple students, and she came charging into the room. I then found out she was one of those "almost total silence" types. She chewed out the class, and her voice was far from soft. If I had done that, I would have been permanently banned from the school. Yes, double standard are alive and well, but that's life.

She must have liked me because she requested me for an afternoon job a couple weeks later. I decided to accept another job instead.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 09-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That is the irony of subbing, a regular teacher can walk a noisy line through the school and no one will say a word. A sub does the same thing and all h@ll breaks loose. I had a first grade class last year that was so noisy I had them go back into the classroom and line up again. The teacher next door saw this and told the teacher I was subbing for, and yes I got into trouble. It is a no win situation.

Here's the funny part, one of these two needed a sub last minute a few weeks ago and texted me the night prior. My one word answer, No.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote