Help

ESL/LEP

What to do during whole group...

>

griffon

What to do during whole group...
Old 09-22-2017, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm becoming very frustrated with some teachers. I'm trying to set up my schedule with good times to go into the classrooms. I'm not allowed to pull upper elementary students from the classroom, so I have to go into the rooms. So I asked all the teachers to give me some good times. I try to avoid whole group times, as I have a few teachers who get very irritated if there's another person in the room talking. Even if I'm just checking for understanding.

So here it is, the end of week 5, and I have 2 teachers who say they are only doing whole group, they don't have a set schedule yet for their rooms, and both of these teachers are ones who get really irritated with other people talking in the room. One is 5th and one is 6th.

So I think I'm just going to have to help with whole groups. But how? Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that? I've tried it before and it's usually a waste of my time as I'm just standing in the back of the room staring at the back of student's heads. I've literally had one teacher tell me to be quiet as I'm distracting other students when I'm asking my EL student a question.

Please help!

griffon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 09-22-2017, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome to my world. I spend a lot of time sitting in the back of other people's classrooms, chewing my nails to bloody stumps through boredom. If I try to do something, I get shushed. I've never worked out how to solve it, and there is one classroom in this school that I refuse to go into until the teacher involved learns some professionalism in how she treats colleagues.

I wish they would just let me take my kids out, do my thing, and return them. They're getting nothing from the whole class stuff anyway, as I'm not allowed to help or explain.

If you do work out a solution, let me know!
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Bellapointe

Whole Group
Old 09-24-2017, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your colleagues are being very disrespectful to you and the students are suffering because of it. I understand that some classroom teachers don't want support in their rooms but that's not their choice if push in is your school's method. Can you speak with administration about this?
Bellapointe is offline   Reply With Quote
Suggestions

Suggestions

Seek Administrative Support
Old 09-28-2017, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Almost every school has a few teachers like the ones you describe. As Bellapointe suggested, your principal might be willing to help. If not, try reaching out to the district office administrator who oversees your program. It is ultimately their responsibility to ensure that designated ESL students receive intervention services from you. You also may want to print out and show them assessment data for your students that clearly indicates the lack of academic growth from year to year.

Although most people seem to think it's better to leave upper elementary students in the classroom, these are the students who are often falling farther and farther behind with each passing year. Unlike the younger ones who may be lagging by one or two years below grade level, older students may be lagging by as much as 4-5 years! It's no wonder that this group of at-risk students has such a high drop-out rate according to national statistics. Good luck.

Ucan

Teach the Class
Old 11-06-2017, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ask the teachers if they would be open to having you teach the whole class. Ask them if there is a particular area, concept, skill, etc. that they are having difficulty teaching (requires some humility). This is what I did with one teacher and it worked well for everyone including the students!

Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote