Help

Private Schools

Abeka 4th Grade

>

Lilacs

Abeka 4th Grade
Old 09-22-2017, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone who taught Abeka...looking to see if you removed anything from the curriculum. The fourth grade years is a huge jump in expectations, difficulty in curriculum, and amount of seatwork/homework. Doing all of it is frustrating my co-worker. Looking for ideas since I have only done 1st and 2nd. Any help appreciated

Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Caroltn4

Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used Abeka for language, math, history, and science for 40 years. I do not follow their lesson plans, but I adapted the curriculum to fit my needs. I only use their math tests and quizzes because I think the tests and quizzes in the other subjects are sometimes too picky and difficult. I also only assign written math and spelling homework. I expect the students to study the other subjects using study sheets that I provide for them. The teacher could contact me if I could help in any way.
Caroltn4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 09-23-2017, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have them memorize the poem each month, do the book reports every two months assigned as independent reading/book reports, memorize spelling and Bible Verses every week, and memorize all the social studies stuff: maps, states and capitals, declaration of independence, American creed? It seems like an incredible jump from the third grade curriculum. Do you slow the pace of the curriculum down or do you finish the curriculum. Our previous teacher never finished the curriculum. I am wondering how far in the curriculum would be enough to be able to be ready for fifth and if any of the concepts could be eliminated or simplified. I know the language development in grammar gets pretty intense as the year progresses. How many of the books do your kids usually finish in the reading program? Also, our administrator is telling us not to have students do fixes to the seatwork. Do you have your kids make corrections each day? She has made study sheets for the subjects also. Sorry to bombard you with questions, but thank you for your help.

Caroltn4

Old 09-23-2017, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do not do the poems. I do the book reports but on my schedule and in my way. They read the book report book on their own, then we do the first book report together in class. My format is different from Abeka's as I feel theirs is too simplified. After the first one, the students read the books and take notes. They still do the report in class. We do learn the spelling words and Bible verses. We do learn the history material--American's Creed, Declaration of Independence, etc. We learn the presidents and states and capitals. I skip over a couple of chapters in the history book to make enough time for state history. I do not use their state book, though, as i did not care for the format. I have my own state curriculum. I do not use the ABeka reading curriculum (I use BJU). In language, I supplement the curriculum with Daily Grams, so when we come to the unit in class (punctuation, capitalization, parts of speech, etc.), they already have a pretty good grasp of the concepts. We do not do seatwork, but work together on the worksheets. As to finishing the books, I always have time to finish the science/health books, but not the others. I'm usually pretty close, though!

Lilacs

Old 09-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks...we felt the same about the book reports format No seatwork...does that mean no independent work on the worksheets or just whole group instructions and rotating around the room while students finish the assignment. Are daily grams like daily oral language practice. Thank you sooooo much for your input. It has been very help in our discussions.

Caroltn4

Old 09-24-2017, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, whole group instruction while circulating. Sometimes I have them do the workbook page (or part of it) as a quiz grade. Daily grams are like DOL but more extensive. Each day practice is given on capitalization, punctuation, parts of speech, and sentence writing. If you google Daily Grammar or Easy Grammar, you can see examples. I can send you my book report format and grading rubric if you would like. I do use Song of the Brook and Saved at Sea for the first two book reports, then they get to choose their own books (with my approval) for the last two. I also do an oral biography report in which they prepare an oral report on a famous person in our state history. They dress up as the person and give the report as if he/she is talking. We do that report at the end of the year.