Help

First Grade

Independent phonics activities?

>

SunShining

Independent phonics activities?
Old 09-23-2017, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In my class this year I have a chunk of very low kiddos. They will be getting pulled for intetvention through Title during our reader's workshop time. We do Lucy's units of study, so I am okay with them getting pulled this time. They cannot read independently yet, and the lessons are mostly strategies. The reading teacher will be working with them on foundational skills and some of the UOS strategies.

I would like to do some small group phonics stuff with them during word work though. My only concern is what to have the other kids do at this time? I can't have them read to self or with partners (I could sometimes) because we do this during workshop time. The other kids are at or above grade level. I also don't want to just give them a worksheet or other too easy activity because I feel it would just be busy work. I have several parent volunteers this year, so having a parent pull a group of average-high kids to work on an appropriate skill is an option for sometimes, but I still would like to have something they could do independently that they are learning from sometimes.

Any ideas? What do you do for phonics/word work?

SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

readbooks

open ended phonics
Old 09-23-2017, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are a few of my favorites. They can be used either with partners or independent
Read the Room for:
make these up for skill you, or that student. is working on
Read the room for short a: would look like this. The student would have a paper to record words, their book boxes to find words from and would write can, apple, as, but would not be able to write are, or came on this activity. My rules were the words must be found in their books, must be spelled in grown up spelling, and must be words they could read later to either another child, a volunteer, or me.

Roll a rhyme
I had cubes I had written rhyme ending on. Short a cubes might have at, as, ap, ad written on them. The child had a cube,a recording sheet and sometimes an alphabet board I love the magnitic letter boards I found from Really Good Stuff) with them. They roll the cube once, wrote that piece at the top of a row and generated as many REAL words as they could that had that rhyme pattern. Studens could use letter boards to build rhyme patterns then add start letter to see if it made a REAL word.
Sometimes they would spell something wrong.
if they rolled ed and spelled sed I would put a big smiley face and show correct spelling, but not mark it wrong.

Word sort and activities from Words Their Way

Last edited by readbooks; 09-23-2017 at 05:26 PM..
readbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
fran123

fran123

Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Even though I think your struggling readers need independent reading time the MOST, I know that sometime reading intervention needs to happen during the RW block.

I have Word Study Stations that my kids may choose from during my Word Study Block. I have 3 groups of kids- roughly below, on, and above grade level. We assess kids through the WTW Primary Spelling inventory.

Our Word Study block is 20 minutes, so I quickly meet with 2 groups a day. My schedule looks like this:

Monday- Low Group and Middle Group
Tuesday- Low Group and High Group
Wednesday- Low Group and Middle Group
Thursday-Low Group and High Group
Friday- Low Group and Middle Group

When they are not with me, the kids can choose different Work Study Stations to go to with their Word Study Partner. The stations are:

High Frequency Word Roll- We have 6 class-wide high frequency words to be memorized every 2 weeks. Each word is numbered 1-6. Kids roll a 3, they write the 3rd word, roll a 2 and write the 2nd word, etc.

Blind Sort- Partner A reads the word without showing it and Partner B decides which group to sort it into. Switch

Speed Sort- Partner A sorts the words as quickly as possible. Partner B times. Switch.

Word Hunt- Kids look for words that fit their pattern in their books. If they are learning a-e words, they might find blame, grape, etc. in their book.

Magnetic Letters- Parter A reads a word. Partner B builds it. Partner A checks it. Switch.

Memory- turn over all of their cards and try to find a pair of words with matching patterns.

Partner Editing- Use green pens to correct any misspelled words in their writing pieces.

The kids keep their word sorts (in an envelope) and a menu of these choices in their Word Study Folder and put a check mark next to the activity each time they complete it. When they have 3 check marks next to each station, they turn it in and get a new one. For the first 2 months of school, we do sorts as a class and practice each activity whole group, so they know what to do when they're on their own. Have an assigned partner is a good management trick! My high kids are good at staying on task and my low group just needs to hold it together independently for ~10 minutes after meeting with me!

Kat's Mom

Partner scavenger hunts
Old 09-27-2017, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, SunShining,

I like to have a parent volunteer in for crowd control and as the "answer checker" for partner scavenger hunts. I use these a lot in different ways. For example, I might take the decodable readers for the week and type up a worksheet that goes through each page of the decodable reader and asks them to write down words they find on each page based on the clues I give. Ie. Page 3: Find 2 words that rhyme with said: (bed and sled) Or, find 3 words that begin with the "cl" blend: (clap clock club) The parent checks the partners for accuracy after and their reward is to play partner games on the iPads. Speaking of iPads, they would be a good activity for your on-level and above learners to use while you work with small groups.

I also like to take first-grade phonics activities from Teachers Pay Teachers, number each task, cut them apart, and tape them randomly around the room. I give the partners a numbered answer sheet and clipboard (both complete their own sheet, but cooperatively). They must walk around the room together to find each task, write the word that is being asked of them, and continue until finished. Volunteer parent checks them and then like I said, they use the iPads or another fun phonics board game of some type as their "prize" for finishing.

Another simple activity you can use to review any phonics activity is partner Tic-Tac-Toe or DOTS. I write sight words or words with our phonics skills covered so far in the Tic-Tac-Toe grids or on the DOTS page. Partners use different colored crayons and take turns reading a word in exchange for a turn. If partner misses the word, they lose a turn.

Also, KABOOM is a fun partner game using tongue depressors to review sight words, story vocabulary, or phonics skills. You can easily Google that one!

Another activity that takes a lot of time but is good phonics practice is a simple cut-and-paste picture sort. Next week, we are doing "l" blends....cl, sl, pl, etc. I copied and pasted 20 or so clipart pictures into a word document that contain these blends, printed them, and the kids have to cut the pictures apart and glue them down on large sheets of paper that are divided into blends.

Don't forget math either! Sometimes I just put out paper copies of the old addition or subtraction Mad Minutes. The kids have "partner races" to see who can complete one first. They also like simple dice and card games where each partner rolls or draws and they compete to see who can add them the fastest.
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

Another fun one!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Trash or Treasure?" is the name of the activity. I bought a couple little flip-lid garbage cans at Dollar Tree. I write words on little scraps of paper that contain "real" and "nonsense" words that are based on our skill that week. For example, I might choose to do this during the week I'm reviewing digraphs. Then I crumple the word scraps into balls and stick them in the trash cans. The kids have a "Trash or Treasure" sheet where they must record 10 real and 10 nonsense words they find in the trash cans and then be checked by the parent volunteer! After they record a word, they crumple it back up and stick it back in the can.

Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Phonics activities
Old 09-29-2017, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Word sort - words with current skill

Rainbow write spelling words

Find a skill word pattern in printed poems

With partner, read nonsense words from chart that I make

Memory game with sight words

We don't do math during reading time

Independent reading of self selected books, starting with current guided reading book.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

Independent work time
Old 10-09-2017, 01:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Actually, you can and should have them read to self or read with a partner for another round. The more authentic reading you have them do the more likely they are to become strong readers.
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote