Help

The VENT

Standing for the pledge

>

AZsub

Standing for the pledge
Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Read about this kid in Farmington school district who did not stand for the pledge. Unfortunately, the teacher lost it and grabbed him out of his chair. I understand we teachers do not touch students and unfortunately, this teacher will probably be fired for letting her emotions through.

I am the daughter of a service man. I get upset at kids who do not stand for the pledge. This new situation with sports figures kneeling and kids looking up to them, just makes things worse. Yes they have the right, but I think it is disrespectful to our country. Apparently, this kids parents are right behind his behavior.

I feel if you are not from this country or disagree with things, standing at least is respectful. You do not have to say the pledge or put your hand over your heart.

Teachers, how do you handle students who sit during the pledge and will probably start kneeling?

AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

bmcgee81

Although it is to me disrespectful
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You have the right to do it, this includes kids. I may not agree with it but they have the right to do it. We disagree with it, but when we go to ball games how often do people not pay attention to the anthem? They continue to sit, or talk, or play on their phones. We only get mad when it professionals, but we do it all the time (we as a public, not saying you personally).

In other words if I have a kid that does it, I may not like it but I will allow it.
bmcgee81 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've always expected (assumed they would, not required them to do so) kids to stand for the flag salute and have never had one not do so for any kind of actual "reason." I've had kids not stand just trying to be naughty though. I talk to the child and/or call their parents and ask if they need alternate arrangements and they have always been horrified.

The only times in my career I had anyone actually object to the flag salute they stood, but simply didn't recite it.

In that incident I don't understand why they didn't simply notify the teacher for accommodations. There's more to THAT story IMO.

As far as punishment goes - I think there's a difference between not reciting or standing (not punishable) and purposeful disrupting (punishable.) Over the years I have definitely had problems with disrupting that would have been disciplined if continued after parental phone calls have verified there hasn't been a misunderstanding.

As for the NFL, I don't consider taking a knee to be disruptive.

Last edited by MKat; 09-26-2017 at 01:39 PM..
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

6th grade
Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I saw him and he looked "Oh so sweet" on television. Sixth grade!! I'd put money on him being a constant offender in the classroom. Probably was the last straw.

I think the parent has the responsibility to communicate with the teacher regarding their beliefs. I have always allowed the Jehova Witness kids to do whatever it is their parents want.

Unless the parent communicates with the teacher, there's no way of knowing if a 6th-grade kid is just causing trouble.
TheTrunch is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

standing for the pledge
Old 09-26-2017, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The teacher probably would have done better by ignoring the behavior. Eventually, given no reaction, the behavior would have stopped. The teacher and the other kids who wish to say the pledge would continue, and the ignored kid would begin to feel ostracized by his peers. Middle school kids want to fit in, and so after a few days or even weeks, depending upon the kid, the behavior would have ended.

timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Standing
Old 09-26-2017, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I expect mine to stand out of respect. If they don't want to say the pledge then that's fine but they are going to stand. I had a student that didn't participate in most things a few years back due to religious reasons. However, her mother had no problem with me asking her to stand out of respect. She didn't put her hand over her heart or recite the pledge but she stood out of respect.
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedinTx

Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here is where the President and many other people have it wrong. The players are not disrespecting the flag. Disrespecting the flag would be flipping it off, turning their back on it, refusing to get off the bench. Kneeing for the flag in quiet protest is actually honoring the flag. They are calling attention to an injustice in a polite non violent manner. This is a right granted to them by being an American. I am the daughter of a man who served his country for 22 years, served three tours in Vietnam, and now has incurable illnesses from being sprayed with agent orange that is slowly taking away his memory of his family and friends. I have 8 uncles who all served proudly in the military. I have 5 children proudly serving in the US Navy with a daughter who has served in Afghanistan , Iraq, and Behrain. Each and everyone of my family members are for the protest because they see it as what it is a respectful protest for the killing of unarmed children and men. It was never disrespect for the flag but in respect for a right that flag gives them.

As for how to handle the children not standing for the flag, assign them a speech they are to deliver to their fellow classmates about what the student is protesting and how they developed that belief. Most of our students in my high school have decided that it is easier to stand for the flag then to make up a reason they are protesting other than that they thought it would be cool.
SpedinTx is offline   Reply With Quote

JDB

Teachers no have choice in how to handle this
Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This has been decided by the Supreme Court case - West Virginia State Board of Education vs. Barnette. Students can NOT be made to stand during or say the pledge.

If any teacher attempts to fight this battle with a student, the teacher will lose. Students can not be pressured to stand or be disciplined for not doing so.

The only way to handle it is to ignore it and carry on, regardless of your personal feelings. I am always shocked when school districts do not inform teachers of this ruling by the court.
JDB is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I gotta say I came on to echo JDB's message. I see several people saying that they would make the kids stand. Y'all, you can't. Seriously. You're going to lose. It's against the law.
If I may add a separate personal view on it, I'm a Quaker. We have a religious objection to reciting the Pledge of Allegiance (amongst many other things). My DD stands for the pledge at her school but does not recite it. She's only had one teacher ask what was up (thankfully in a kind way) and she explained it was a tenet of her faith not to recite it. Please know that when I don't stand or recite the pledge, it's not out of a sense of disrespect to the ideals that the flag stands or for those that have served in the military.
Please don't force students to stand or assume that there's a bad reason that they're not standing.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 09-26-2017, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
If they don't want to say the pledge then that's fine but they are going to stand.
Not if they don't want to. You don't have the right to restrict your students of theirs.

TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

MissStacey

Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't think it's unfortunate at all that a teacher will be fired for putting her hands on a student out of anger.

I also see nothing wrong or disrespectful with not standing for the national anthem or pledge. Disrespect would be making noise, being disruptive, trying to distract other students, etc. But to sit quietly? That's not disrespect, that's exercising your right to not participate in something you don't agree with. I don't encourage blind patriotism or nationalism in my students- I would rather they think critically about what it all means and make their own choices.
MissStacey is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

last few posters are right on
Old 09-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

SpedinTex, what you say is SO important and right on the money!! Thank you for saying this in such a wonderful, understandable, respectful way!!! You hit on all points!! ALSO, thank you for the service your family has so unselfishly given to all of us!!

Also, great comments:

Quote:
I don't think it's unfortunate at all that a teacher will be fired for putting her hands on a student out of anger.

Quote:
I gotta say I came on to echo JDB's message. I see several people saying that they would make the kids stand. Y'all, you can't. Seriously. You're going to lose. It's against the law.
Well said!!
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Not uncommon?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In 25 years I have never had a student not stand for the Pledge.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

MissStacey
Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I completely agree with everything you posted!
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 09-26-2017, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

That teacher, at least, needs counselling, if not a career change. To lay hands on a student that way over such a minor issue is insanity; it was no doubt done to provoke a reaction and the kid got one. Big time. They win.

We expect that students will stand respectfully, hands behind their back or at their sides, during the national anthem. If they sing, it's a bonus. We would never put our hand on our heart and we don't have a pledge.

Overt patriotism isn't a big thing in Australia, and is generally seen as suspicious behaviour in our culture.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Nearly

Old 09-26-2017, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It's already been noted here that students have the constitutional right not to stand, and I will respect that right. I would like to add that we have the pledge every single day. Most students stand up right on cue, and some say the pledge. However, some students are quite clearly not thinking about those words at 7:30 in the morning (if ever). During the last three decades I have had very few students refuse to stand up, but every one of those (in my experience) has thought very deeply about the pledge. It also takes some guts to stay seated since other students will question them. I use this opportunity to have students explain why they don't stand up, and the ensuing discussions have always been interesting. Freedom of speech may be the most important freedom we have, and we should encourage students to claim this freedom for themselves as long as their behavior is not disruptive.
Nearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 09-26-2017, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

SpedinTX, I respect your family's service and see value in your response. I appreciated a reply to Nebraska's Senator Ben Sasse's tweet concerning the kneeling controversy.

"Ben, you know kneeling displays humility's power. You know what they are protesting isn't the flag. You know better.
best,
Your History Prof https://twitter.com/BenSasse/status/911732810427150336"

The teacher had no right to touch the student who refused to stand. Over the years I've had many students who, due to religious reasons, would not stand and some who stood but would not recite the salute with us. It was never a bit deal. The class learned everyone had a right to their religious views and could express them. Lesson learned, page turned, moved on.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 09-26-2017, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
Teachers, how do you handle students who sit during the pledge and will probably start kneeling?
Ignore and move on. Unless they are being disruptive of course.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Old 09-26-2017, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Thank you for your family's service.

Last year I had a student who stopped saying the pledge because his family had told him to stop saying it. I double-checked with his family to make sure he wasn't putting me on.

I required that he protested respectfully. By "respectfully" I mean in a way that was not disruptive to those who were pledging. In his case, he removed his hat and stood straight. If a family was asking their child to kneel or sit, either in protest or for religious reasons, we'd talk about how to do that respectfully.
PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

AprilDelight

I agree with you...
Old 09-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

So much hullabaloo about "symbols!"

How about getting kids (and adults) to understand and respect the meanings behind said symbols?

As for the pledge at school? I haven't followed the story, but even if it was a 6th grader being a butt, NEVER grab a child/force a child to stand for such!

I personally say the pledge without the "under God" part, which is not original and was added during the Soviet Cold War era, I'm not a Christian, and during my work hours, it is a violation between church and state.
AprilDelight is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

not standing for pledge
Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I fear that in ten years, the words to the pledge will be forgotten and so will our national anthem because it is ok to not recite them.

The world is changing. I will continue to say the pledge out loud, so it will at least be heard. Maybe a few students will join me. I guess those that want to sit will sit or kneel.

Zia

Old 09-26-2017, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

It's such a silly thing to get upset about.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Spedintx
Old 09-26-2017, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I totally agree with your assessment. I am aghast at the anger and disrespect shown to the kneeling football players. They have every right to be angry! They are protesting peacefully. People of color, especially young black men, are tired of waiting for civil rights to finally be equal. Over one hundred years of this...I am amazed at their self control at this point! I have had students not pledge the flag and I respect their right to choose. Most of these students were either Native American or jehovah witnesses.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

What injustice Spedin Tx
Old 09-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

That first player that kneeled was the result of Mike Brown who was determined to have been a criminal who was trying to take the gun away from the police officer. Forensic evidence (science) proved that. When a criminal gets your gun, they shoot you. Forensic evidence also proved that Brown was charging at the officer.

I'm on the side of law enforcement. Surely there are rotten officers, just like rotten teachers, but this myth that they are targeting a specific group is ridiculous. This "injustice" is on the same continuum as "What do we want? Dead Cops".

Honestly, I don't care if they kneel, squat or stand on their heads. But I 100 percent disagree that law enforcement is targeting people because of their race.

Zia

Old 09-26-2017, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

This says it better than I can:
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

rusty

Old 09-26-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I've always had kids in 1st grade who didn't stand for the pledge and that was fine with me....no biggie. Jehovah Witness kids don't say the pledge and that's their right. They also never joined in singing happy birthday and some kids even refused a birthday cupcake. I would never make a big deal of it. I think that's what makes America great....everybody is free to have beliefs and opinions and we can't and shouldn't MAKE them do anything against those beliefs.

Last edited by rusty; 09-26-2017 at 06:11 PM..
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-26-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I also agree with this:
Attachment

3leggedtable

Substitute
Old 09-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I am a building sub; usually 1 or 2 students per year disrupt the pledge. With me you may sit and be quiet, but you may not be disrespectful. I let the students know my displeasure by putting a strike in their monthly calendar. Three strikes and the student is out of the class incentive.

I walk softly and carry a big pen.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Not about one incident...
Old 09-26-2017, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

...unless you are a black man trying to go about his life,you have no idea how much injustice and discrimination still exists in this country. And yes, there are some police who target minorities. Until we can settle this deep divide, this country will continue down a dangerous and depressing path. Divide and conquer. We are all victims of that.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Students not saying Pledge of Allegiance
Old 09-26-2017, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Wow! I did not know that students have started to refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance... or stand while the rest of the class says it. I didn't know this was an issue in school classrooms.
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_love

Out the door...
Old 09-26-2017, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

When I student taught, there were two children who's parents had requested them to not stand for the pledge. The teacher sent them outside the door during pledge. Not sure if that is the best take on it, or not. At least they aren't being "exposed" to it, so I'd imagine parents would be happy.
teach_love is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Happened to me
Old 09-26-2017, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

One of my students kneeled during the pledge. This was in another class from me (I teach at a high school) and the para asked me to tell this student to stand as the adult was offended.

I had to respond that it was the right of the student to not stand and I would talk to the student as to the reasoning behind it.

When I talked to the student they stated the normal stuff going around on social media and the news...."the president is a moron, the country is going to h*ll....etc...."

I let the student know that I was born in the military, raised in the military and married military. I acknowledged her right to not stand but asked for a compromise. I asked if she could just remain in her chair during the pledge and remain silent while others paid their respects. We shall see if this happens.

It is hard to be a teacher and remain with a neutral face and attitude during these times. I do think the teacher that grabbed a student went a bit too far and let their emotions take over. Sad for all involved.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Savvy
Old 09-26-2017, 10:14 PM
This message has been deleted by Savvy. Reason: Not worth it

MissESL

Flag
Old 09-27-2017, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I’ll probably preface this with I didn’t read every single response. This is a hot button topic!

I ask everyone to stand. I don’t require them to say it, but I do think a modicum of respect is important for a symbol of our nation that should and does inspire unity. I’m not forcing them, but I ask it of them.

I have never had an issue, with exception to my Jehovah Witness students. After a discussion with parents, it was a compromise to do just that - stand but not recite. I’ll

Last edited by MissESL; 09-27-2017 at 03:49 AM..
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

My DD school...
Old 09-27-2017, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Already had a email blast standing you do not have to stand for The Pledge. You can not leave the room due to time constraints and lack of supervision available.

In my DD class, they had some kids do the drop the knee deal, and she ssid the teacher ignored them.

No district wants bad press over a lawsuit they can not win. The kids can stand with their backs to the flag, and it's legal. No law stating you must stand facing the flag.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

NatureLvr

Old 09-27-2017, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

My kids have been out of high school for several years, but when they were there it was not at all unusual for students to not stand for the pledge. A few even turned their backs to the flag. I believe a college athlete was receiving some attention in the press at the time for doing this before basketball games, I think to protest US actions in the Middle East. A teacher gave the black power salute a few times when the National Anthem was played during assemblies. Nobody made any fuss about it and most students continued to say the pledge and stand during the anthem.
NatureLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
0-0-0-0-0

0-0-0-0-0

Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

High school teacher here.
I stand in the front of class and say the pledge. Students know I'm proud to be a citizen of the US and I say the pledge along with the student who is announcing it over the loudspeaker. (It's a requirement for students to take turns doing that for their public speaking course.) The students think I can't see them since I'm in front of them. I watch in the reflection of the TV set next to the flag. Once in a while I'll get a student not stand. I don't make it a big deal. Usually, that student doesn't stay seated for days in a row.

Tsy2013

Old 09-27-2017, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

From what I see the players are breaking the NFL rules by not standing. But why would someone grab and snatch a child up?
Attachment

Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

AprilDelight

AZsub...
Old 09-27-2017, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

It's not even the original pledge.

As for the anthem, it's history is actually quite interesting and somewhat questionable. Most people don't even realize there are more verses, and don't know their words which are interesting, given when and where and why the song was written in the first place.
AprilDelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

my issue is the opposite
Old 09-27-2017, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I just noticed today that my Jehovas Witness is now putting his hand over his heart and reciting the pledge with the rest of the class. I've told him he doesn't need to say it and that mom and dad don't want him to. But I'm not going to punish him for doing it.

I don't think he feels pressure to stand and recite. I've got Grumpy Kid who comes in pouting every morning because he had to get out of bed and he usually sits and pouts during the pledge. I'm not fighting him because I know the law...I just make him be quiet.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Zia
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Since you are so passionate about police brutality, I wanted to let you know that police departments allow citizens to go along as ride alongs. To get the most out of it, it's good to go on several. A weekend evening and night is good because you can see a lot of action. If you decide to go on more than one, you can ask to go in different neighborhoods. That way you can compare and see first-hand what it's like. You will be very surprised.

Except for a few bad apples, police officers are like teachers. We don't see color. We see students who are behaving and students who are not.

I certainly don't like being accused of "Picking on a child". Most teachers who discipline get that. That's the same thing that's happening to law enforcement. Our society desperately needs to help turn around the communities who are plagued by crime. Blaming the police is like blaming the teacher.

SpeedLimit62

Old 09-27-2017, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I always verbally say.. 'Everybody up' ... and my class stands. I haven't ever worked with a child who won't stand.
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Quote:
Except for a few bad apples, police officers are like teachers.
But those bad apples are truly rotten and people die because of it. I support police and military--most of my family are one or the other. But that doesn't mean it's okay to be blind to injustice or to prohibit peaceful protest.

This is indefensible:
Attachment

1956BD

retired now
Old 09-27-2017, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

But I always asked mine to stand during the pledge out of respect. I told them if I was at an event where they said their pledge I would stand out of respect for their country.

I did teach the meaning of these words with a picture book and discussion as part of social studies.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 09-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

This is what I found. My husband who knows everything claims that snopes in\s the site that debunks false information. This was on snopes.
Attachment

jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-28-2017, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I never had anyone sit during the Pledge. It's in our school handbook that students are to stand respectfully during it. They don't have to participate in the Pledge, but they need to stand and be quiet.

Did I miss a link to the story of the teacher mentioned in the OP? This is a long thread, and I didn't read it all.
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

JDB

GlacierRose...
Old 09-28-2017, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

Your school's handbook is in violation of the law. The Supreme Court ruled (West Virginia State Board of Education vs. Barnette) that students can NOT be forced to stand during the pledge or be made to say it. They can not be questioned about why they are not standing nor be asked to leave the room. The Supreme Court overrules any school handbook and it has been the law since 1943!

It never ceases to amaze me how many schools seem to be unaware of this ruling. Our school goes over this during new teacher orientation and they send out a reminder every year.

It does not matter if anyone finds it offensive or unpatriotic. It is very clearly stated in the law.
JDB is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Most stand.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I have never had a kid refuse to stand. I don't even ask them to stand anymore, but they all do.
You can't force them to stand. They have the right to sit. I did have a couple of boys try to "take a knee" last year. I stopped them not because they were taking a knee, but because they were doing it in a way that disrupted the class.
If I have a student sit or start kneeling, I'll just ignore it. It's their right, and I'm not going to waste precious learning time discussing it.
Interestingly enough, most of my students are 1st generation Americans, or are American nationals (from Samoa). I've never had an issue with any of them.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 09-28-2017, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

Quote:
The players are not disrespecting the flag. Disrespecting the flag would be flipping it off, turning their back on it, refusing to get off the bench. Kneeing for the flag in quiet protest is actually honoring the flag. They are calling attention to an injustice in a polite non violent manner. This is a right granted to them by being an American.
Very well said.

Also many classes in our area do not have an American flag and do not say the pledge as many in our community see these as symbols of oppression. I can't even imagine forcing a child to stand.

Last edited by Ima Spedtcher; 09-28-2017 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Adding
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Tough Issue
Old 09-29-2017, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I only remember one or two kids over the years not participating in the pledge on purpose. I've just asked them to be polite during it. (I've also had plenty of little ones just goofing off. - Them, I do correct.)

I find the NFL thing a tough issue, though. I actually saw the recent big expansion of it as a reaction to President Trump saying the few initially doing it should be fired, not as the original movement all of a sudden getting that many more followers. I think it's more of a "well, you can't fire all of us" sticking-up-for-a-teammate thing.

I don't think all (or even most) police shootings are simply because of skin color, but I definitely believe we still have work to do on race issues! So far, I don't think the best way to go about fixing them has been found yet (with earlier protests turning into riots, and this one being too wrapped up with other symbolism).

All the positive things I can come up with seem so small, though - a campaign to plaster social media with photos of different race friends together, more events to bring people together... I realize they're not enough by themselves. But I do think we have to find solutions that don't divide people even more.

The current protests make people feel like they have choose sides against people they love. If your dad is a police officer who taught you to treat everyone the same, you won't believe someone who says all cops are racist. And some of those football players must be really torn between supporting a teammate who chooses to protest the flag and supporting a military family member by saluting it proudly themselves.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-29-2017, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

Quote:
I think it's more of a "well, you can't fire all of us" sticking-up-for-a-teammate thing.
I am Spartacus?

TeachforAll

Different Worlds in the Same Country
Old 09-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

People protest to bring awareness to a problem or issue. These people love their country but want it to change for the better. The quality of life is not the same for all people just do to the history of this country, and it has not been corrected or addressed (racial disparities like economic and court system). They have a right to speak up and not let it be ignored. People are making the pledge and national anthem about veterans, but when I said the pledge or sang the national anthem it was towards the appreciation of the ideals of our country even when it was not for all people all the time. At one time, I wanted all of the students to stand too. I am glad other posters shared the court's ruling because I believe in not violating other's rights. I find the people protesting courageous for taking a stand. It's not comfortable and many of times a lonely place. Their needs to be a judicial reform for black people, especially for black men. Black men systematically go to jail at high numbers that rival South Africa's Apartheid, and they are shot faster by police compared to others. I thank police and veterans for their service, but still things are not fair. Thanks to Kaepernick I learned the full story of our national anthem, and it's not inclusive to our ideals for our country. There is a verse we don't sing that showed the author's displeasure for blacks fighting to be free from slavery. He said basically they will never be free. The protest has revealed a lot to me, and I hope it helps change our country for the better.
TeachforAll is offline   Reply With Quote

AltaTeacher

The Trunch
Old 09-30-2017, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

We absolutely see color! We would be disingenous if we say that we don't!
Please take a look at the discipline statistics at your school. Are minorities (African-American and Hispanic males) overrepresented in the discipline cases? If so, this is in line with many schools across the country. The school discipline system is a microcosm of what is happening in U.S. prisons. Do you think that this is a coincidence or by design? The school to prison pipeline is real.

I believe that approximately 80% of all U.S. teachers are White. It is my opinion that minorities are overrepresented in disciplinary incidences in schools because of this lack of cultural diversity. White women are the gatekeepers that disproportionately control the fate of their minority students. Again, do you think that it is a coincidence that White students are overrepresented in gifted programs while minorities are severely underrepresented? Please don't say it is because minorities lack intelligence or are "playing the race card/victimhood". I believe that the lack of cultural diversity in positions of power in our society breeds a lack of cultural empathy. The reason we have so much division in this country is because so many older, White people are unwilling to empathize with other races. If you don't see "others" as human beings that are just like you, it is so much easier to diminish their thoughts, beliefs, rights and humanity.

Most law enforcement officers are White males. Again, start asking yourself some questions. Is fear the first reaction officers have when they encounter minorities? I believe that it is...and therefore heightened fear and lack of cultural empathy affects all police interactions with minorities.

This country was founded on the right to protest. Taking a knee is as American as apple pie.
AltaTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 10-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

AltaTeacher really? It's not skin color it attitude. If they are not raised to be respectful then they won't be and will get into trouble, white, black, or whatever. As far as Teachers go, there many areas in my state that have NO white teachers at all!
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

Standing for pledge
Old 10-07-2017, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

Thanks for the great discussion everyone !

Lakeside

Not all race?
Old 10-08-2017, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

Quote:
I believe that approximately 80% of all U.S. teachers are White. It is my opinion that minorities are overrepresented in disciplinary incidences in schools because of this lack of cultural diversity. White women are the gatekeepers that disproportionately control the fate of their minority students. Again, do you think that it is a coincidence that White students are overrepresented in gifted programs while minorities are severely underrepresented? Please don't say it is because minorities lack intelligence or are "playing the race card/victimhood". I believe that the lack of cultural diversity in positions of power in our society breeds a lack of cultural empathy. The reason we have so much division in this country is because so many older, White people are unwilling to empathize with other races. If you don't see "others" as human beings that are just like you, it is so much easier to diminish their thoughts, beliefs, rights and humanity.
I don't think it's as simple as lack of comfort with another person's skin color. (And I certainly think all people are human!) I actually believe the problem has a lot more has to do with poverty than race, and I expect that if we ran those disciplinary and gifted program stats based on household income level, we'd have an even closer correlation.

Generally (though there are definitely exceptions!) children who come from economically stable homes do better in school. They've likely had many more experiences where the appropriate behavior was similar to the behavior expected in school, so they're better prepared to meet those expectations and less likely to get into trouble. Their parents are probably educated enough not only to help them with their schoolwork, but to extend it and provide enrichment in their areas of interest. (Not to mention the fact that it's hard to behave and do well in school if you're hungry!)

Unfortunately, race and economic level are still very closely tied in our country. Success catches up slowly to opportunity, so because African Americans got opportunities much later than Whites, very few at first grew up with any of the influences that prepared them to take advantage of those opportunities. Those who did "make it" in spite of obstacles were able to give those advantages to their children, and a few more in the next generation, and so on...But that process doesn't happen fast enough, so we still have problems!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

TayloredSub

Respect Students Rights
Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

The substitute was totally out of line! We cannot make any student do anything! In addition, school is a learning environment, seeing a student protest the flag is a good segway to teaching a first amendment lesson. Some people take things way to seriously. Lastly, students have rights! Please respect them as educators.
TayloredSub is offline   Reply With Quote

redhead38

Writing a speech on what they are protesting.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

Wouldn't that cause a whole new set of problems....them saying they are being singled out by having to do a speech because they are standing? It would make me think those kids would complain to their parents although I think it is still a great idea.
redhead38 is offline   Reply With Quote