New Teachers

Spent 30K on Teaching Degree, Now Subbing Again

>

GstTeach

GstTeach

Spent 30K on Teaching Degree, Now Subbing Again
Old 09-26-2017, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After spending $30,000 on a Master's in teaching degree and 10 years pursuing the degree (on and off), I resigned from my teaching position, after only 4 months. Here's why:

1. I had 29 mixed-ability, mostly ELL students and no mentor teacher
2. The classroom's physical condition was a nightmare, and should have been condemned
3. The surmounting responsibilities given to teachers was something that I had never, ever imagined
4. In my first week of teaching, I soon realized that teaching so many students with so many different learning needs and issues is something that is a lot harder than it looks

In retrospect, I'd like to return my teaching degree to the university and get my money back. We can return clothes, furniture, etc...items costing much less than a college education. If I'm never going to teach again and I have no use for a teaching degree, then why can't I return it? Why should I pay thousands of dollars on a loan for a degree that I'll never use?

Has anyone else ever experienced the realization that teaching wasn't the right career choice, after already graduating and taking a position, and then resigning?

I'm now back to substitute teaching, and it is THE MOST freeing and liberating job ever. I was a sub for 16 years before deciding to become a certified teacher. Now, more than ever, I realize that I should remained a substitute teacher. And in fact, I wouldn't wish a severely-oppressive, life-sucking teaching career on my worst enemy.

Suggestion

Suggestion

Homeschool Teacher-Advisor
Old 09-29-2017, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm so glad you were bold enough to get out of the frying pan. However, wouldn't you like to still be able to make good use of your investment? Here in California, almost all towns and cities have homeschool programs that hire credentialed teachers to serve as teacher-advisors. About 20 years ago, I worked in this capacity for a while part-time and made about $25,000/yr. Full-timers earned as much as $50-60K depending on how many students were on their caseload. Now I've heard that they even have payroll deductions for a pension plan. The workload is a piece of cake and can be quite enjoyable. It's definitely worth looking into. Best to connect with homeschool parents and ask them about teacher-advisors to develop some leads.

spedder1

Subbing vs. own classroom
Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Subbing is wonderful because you truly get to teach. I taught for 37 years, retired, and now sub. I currently am doing a long term sub job so there is more responsibility, but I can walk out the door at the end of the day and know I don't have to go to meetings or trainings. I do have to write lesson plans, but in my position they are mostly written due to the curriculum. It is more like it was when I first started teaching. I don't think I could go back to teaching full time again.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Totally agree
Old 10-14-2017, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I totally agree with the first part. I do wish I could give my Master's back, but also a Masters can lead to more jobs than just teaching. Check out your community colleges, and administrative positions in your community colleges or colleges, like financial aid, or admissions clerk. You can find jobs that pay as well, or better than Public School Teaching.

I am personally still looking for a teaching job, simply to pay off that huge college debt. I have a cheap place to live right now, and if played right, can live on limited funds while paying back the majority of my college debt. I plan to be debt free in 2-3 years.

Have you considered truck driving? They start at about 50K per year. Dairy milk truck tanker drivers get about 60K per year and can go home every day.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote
GstTeach

GstTeach

Thanks for the Suggestion!
Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Homeschool Programs...that's a great suggestion. I'll look into this. Thanks!

GstTeach

GstTeach

Old 10-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks Spedder1 for sharing!
GstTeach

GstTeach

Old 10-16-2017, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi Cattleya, I've applied to administrative positions related to education. For example, academic adviser, college adviser, and government positions. A common problem for teachers with the desire to transfer their skills into other professions is exiting the teaching field because so much of their experience is perceived to be unrelated to corporate work settings.

bteach99

Absolutely want to return my degree
Old 10-17-2017, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Waste of money and time. I am subbing and making a fraction of what a teacher makes while doing the same exact job. Very upset and feel that this is not the career for me. I see tenured teachers do crazy things and get away with it.
bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

the same exact job?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

bteach99? I will be working as a sub (with hopes shortly), and know that a teacher needs to do a whole lot more than a sub. S/he needs to do planning, assessing, IEP's contact parents, have student-parent conferences and decorate the classroom, and grade papers-- do subs do that stuff too? On their own time? Unpaid? I'd actually like working as a sub better. 100$ per day and no stress with all that 24/7 teacher stuff.

I also have a Masters, and it was 47K... you can say I partied too much.

bteach99

I was a long term sub
Old 10-20-2017, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Did the SGO, PDP, planning, assessing, IEP, student-parent conferences, decorating, grading. ALL OF IT. With no computer or printing ability. Then I made a mistake and was booted. I was paid slightly more than 100 but it was not worth it.

bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wow! Really?

Lilacs

Old 10-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Perhaps a different position. The grade level, classroom setting (full inclusion/title one/resource room/etc), general/special education, number of students, district, PRINCIPAL, private/public school, teacher/assistant, etc....can all effect your feelings about teaching. I recommend Title I teacher. I loved teaching reading to first graders all day...different kids every period, no classroom responsibilities...best of both worlds for me...but the pay is far less. Teaching is not for the faint of heart, and it seems to get worse every year. I love my job, but it can be frustrating. Best of luck.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

cassie99

Old 10-23-2017, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

First of all, Iím sorry that no one advised you while you were seeking a masters degree program. Mine cost me $6,000 over two years and paid for itself in salary advancement due to the units moving me over on the schedule. Best money I ever spent.

I agree that teaching isnít for everyone, but I hope youíre not basing your decision on this one horrible position (it does sound horrible!).

If you enjoy subbing and have the classroom management/teaching skills that this requires, then I encourage you to find another job in another District. I donít think the way you are describing the job is the norm at all.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the freedom of walking out the door at the end of the day with no additional responsibilities, can afford to work for the subís daily rate, and can get your health benefits elsewhere, maybe thatís a great plan!

No one forced you to take out that much in student loans, though. You knew what you were doing the whole time. One of the greatest benefits of an education (barring any disabling head injuries) is that nobody can take it away from you. So you canít return something permanent - like a tattoo!

Good luck with whatever you choose- be optimistic that thereís something out there for you!
cassie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 10-23-2017, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Cassie99, how did you get a mastser's degree for $6,000?
Also, I agree, try another school/grade/district. Don't forget Admin likes to give the new teachers the tough jobs and the experienced teachers get the cushy/easier jobs. (Altho should be the opposite for teaching methods purposes).
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-26-2017, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am not sure how difficult it is to transfer the skill set. One thing they do (or should know) is that you are trainable, can produce, are competent with technology, do not mind presenting in front of an audience, can plan programs and so on. You also assess, write reports, find where a person is failing and can prop them up. You are most likely caring, and have a high level of responsibility. I tend to think that any employer would see value in you.