Have kids you don't see much on your caseload? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Have kids you don't see much on your caseload?

>

teacher0729

Have kids you don't see much on your caseload?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach my kids for about an hour per day in reading but for the rest of the day, they are in the general ed classroom. I teach 4 grades, one of them being middle school, so I'm finding it overwhelming to collaborate with 10+ teachers at different grade levels/ subjects and really know my students. Are all non- self contained special ed positions like this where you only see your kids for a small portion of the day?

I student taught special ed in only one grade level and was considered a member of that grade level team. Here, I feel like I'm jumping all over the place and not really knowing my kids.

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-26-2017, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You see your students more than I do! I also have four grade levels. I consider my "team" to be the other sped staff (the intermediate sped teacher, SLP, OT, and psych) and not the gen ed teachers. I also student taught in an area where it was common to have one sped teacher per grade level and you were considered part of the grade level team. That is unheard of around here!

My typical student gets 30-40 minutes of reading with me daily, and if they also have math goals (less than half of my kids have both), they get another 25 minutes per day for that. I do feel like I know my students really well because I see them in small groups. I also have had some of the same students for multiple years in a row.

Collaborating with the other teachers is very hard. I have kids in 12 different gen ed rooms. We have really gone back and forth on this in my district. The issue is, if I take time to go to things like grade level planning meetings, my students have to miss their service time. In order to make a schedule where this was possible without missing service minutes, I'd have to give the students less minutes on their IEPs. I know one elementary in my district gives students very few direct IEP minutes (a typical reading and math kid would get 90 minutes per week for both subjects combined) and uses the time for the sped teacher to meet with the gen ed teachers instead.

I personally feel that although collaboration is important, direct instruction for the students is more important. Even if I give the gen ed teachers the best ideas ever, there is only so much they can feasibly do in classrooms with one adult, 30 kids, and many academic and behavior needs. I feel my time is better spent teaching them in my small group than trying to give the teacher ideas. If the teacher really wants some ideas and is willing to implement them, they seek me out before/after school, at staff meetings, etc.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 10-15-2017, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I see some of my kids for 30 minutes a day, some for one hour a day, and some never because they have only in class support provided by a para. I have one for 90 minutes a day. I struggle with tracking goal progress with kids I never see.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote