Help

Substitute Teachers

Throwing furniture

>

Cetti

Throwing furniture
Old 09-27-2017, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a 8:1:1 elementary classroom job last week. One very large 2nd grader got mad when he had to do something he didn't want to. (He was sweet as pie during "play" time). Well, at the very end of the day he finally lost it and was throwing papers and kicking chairs. An aide took him out in the hallway and the school counselor came. I dismissed the rest of the students. The troubled boy in the hallway picked up a chair and went to throw it (in the hallway). The counselor said to him "Let's go into the classroom where we have more freedom." She motioned to me to stay in the hallway. I peered through the window to see him throwing chairs, desks and then a table!!!
What do others think about this situation/the counselor's "advice?"
I was unable to leave because my purse was in the room and I was told to stay in the hallway. I was on campus about 45 minutes past the end of day.

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Oh wow
Old 09-27-2017, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand how hard it must've been to feel like you need to be in 2 places. I wish all guest teachers are provided with a secure place to store their personal belongings. There's people I know that leave their personal stuff in their cars or in my case I just bring the barest necessity. So did you stay with your class or did you go and supervise the kid? I would've asked the other adult to stay with the class while I take care of that one.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Um, no.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you think she was allowing or even encouraging him to throw furniture? If so, that's not ever appropriate. That's not even allowed in our anger management/special needs type classrooms. We have "padded" rooms for children who are prone to outbursts, but we don't allow furniture throwing.

I would not have waited for the tantrum to be over. I would have walked in the classroom and collected my things. No child's tantrum is going to extend my day by 45 minutes.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Ota

Old 09-27-2017, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wasn't the office wondering where you were? In my school district we have to turn keys, folders, and attendance in by a certain time.

If I was caught off guard and left my stuff in that room, I would go to the person I report to in the office and share what is going on. That way they know I'm trying to finish up the day, and that I need help due to the situation.
Ota is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

In a similar situation...
Old 09-28-2017, 01:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was next door to a nearly identical situation in a kindergarten class and ended up assisting with it. We removed all the students except the chair thrower. The reason we kept the student in the room was the fact it was a relatively controlled environment compared to the hallway, so I do understand the counselor's "advice," although I suspect her motivation was not to give him more freedom.

What I don't understand is why additional help wasn't sought. Based on your description, it is likely he could have justifiably been restrained, but that would have required at least two staff members to be present.

As for not being able to leave... personally, I would have stayed anyway since he was one of "my" students--but I would not expect others to make that choice.

Sometimes things happen. We had a bomb-scare/evacuation once during dismissal... no problem for the kids--they were leaving anyway. But it took nearly an hour to clear the building and allow people to return. Many teachers had to stay because their car keys, purses, etc. were in the building... or arranged for a pickup and returned later to gather belongings. Fortunately, it wasn't winter time!

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote