Best way to apply for a teaching job after having left a job mid-year - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

Best way to apply for a teaching job after having left a job mid-year

>

Will719

Best way to apply for a teaching job after having left a job mid-year
Old 09-27-2017, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I left a teaching job mid-year last year to pursue a degree in another field and have been subbing ever since. The program I was enrolled in didn't work out and it has been hard to pay the bills by just subbing.

I am thinking of going back to teaching but I'm not sure if I should mention the job I left and if leaving a job mid-year would prevent me from being hireable ever again. If I include the job on my resume, would this be the case? If I omitted it, would other districts likely find out? I have several years of experience in a different district, so even omitting the job I left, I would be able to put teaching experience on my resume. Thanks for any advice!

Will719 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-27-2017, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you going back to a completely different district? Far away, without chance the admin would talk to one another?

Leaving a teaching job mid year to pursue a degree that didn't even come to fruition doesn't make you look good, honestly. If you did it once, what's to stop you from doing it again (districts might think)? If you have other jobs you can use, I might be inclined to leave that job off. If it causes as unusual gap you'll have to explain though, I might think about leaving it in there and spinning it as "I explored other options and realize teaching is where my heart is." Others might have different opinions. Good luck!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote