Help

Fourth Grade

Novel Studies HELP!

>

brighton

Novel Studies HELP!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to implement novel studies this year and get away from using JOURNEYS adoption; just need help figuring out how to start. I've had some input but does anyone have a list of which novels go with what genre and which skills go with it as well? THANK YOU ALL!!

brighton is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Novels
Old 09-29-2017, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 3rd and fourth grade, but am retired now. I suggest selecting genres. For example mystery. Then select a low, medium and high level mystery for your variety of readers. I taught the traits of a mystery to all my students. Inferring also works well with mysteries as does sequencing.

For my third graders my low readers read Nate The Great. My on level readers read one of the Cam Jansen series books. My above grade level readers were in a Box Car Children's book.

I also selected some mentor text picture books within each genre to share and teach with. I used Grandpa's Teeth, Detective LaRue, The Web Files and Private I. Guana. I also found a nonfiction mystery that was fantastic. It is titled The Mary Celeste/An Unsolved Mystery from History.

For science fiction my low readers read Aliens For Breakfast. My middle readers read the first book in the Time Warp Trio series. My high readers read Top Secret by John Reynolds Gardiner. I taught the comprehension skill of evaluating and summarizing. For picture books I used Zathura, June 29, 1999, Meet The Robinsons and Plantzilla.

For realistic fiction I usually laugh making different kinds of connections. We also studied character change. My low readers read Freckle Juice. My middle readers read a Judy Moody book and high readers read Because of Winn Dixie. Picture book read alouds/ genre lessons were Thank You Mr. Falker, Song and Dance Man, Amazing Grace and The Pain and The Great One.

I hope this gives you some ideas.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

novel studies
Old 09-30-2017, 01:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In 4th, we also do genre studies. I have built a library of small book sets for each of the ones we focus on: realistic fiction, historical fiction, fantasy, informational, and poetry. We use novels for each of these in guided reading and lit circles. I also have lots for independent reading. And I have my read alouds to introduce each genre.

I have books from levels N-U to match the range in my classroom too. It would be hard to list all my book titles.

For the skills, I correlate the common core standards for each genre. When reading realistic fiction (we're doing this right now), we get at all of the character, plot, setting, and theme standards. And another example when reading fantasy you can teach the theme of good v. evil.

How are you planning to gather the books you'll need?
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district is using novels for third to eighth grades. We teach the skills through the novels, including grammar. It's a huge adjustment and a lot of work, but the kids enjoy reading the novels. Our 4th grade reads Frindle, Gooseberry Park, I survived books, Stone Fox, Because of Winn Dixie. I think there is one more, but I don't teach fourth grade language arts. If you want to try it I say go for it. You could still use Journeys for the skills.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

brighton

Thank you!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow!! You've given me a lot to think about. I can barely keep up with reading one novel at a time with my kiddos, how in the world did you manage THREE, your high, middle, and low readers? My respects to your amazing teaching experience and I truly have my work cut out. All of your input will surely help in guiding me, THANK YOU!

brighton

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I appreciate your input. Using the read alouds for guided reading and lit circles is a great suggestion. I also plan to use the novels this way so I hope can focus on mini lessons on different skills as we meet. Thank you again for all your help!

brighton

Great idea!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, I am currently following Journeys curriculum for the skills but teaching them with novels. I just finished up with winn dixie so I appreciate you providing a list of other possible novels. Thank you for your help.

BRONX

Above grade level readers
Old 10-02-2017, 02:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you feel overwhelmed with 3 groups allow your above grade level readers to run their guided reading group as a book club. You can check in with them 1 or 2 times a week but they can focus on character traits and theme while you meet and plan for the other two groups.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

brighton

Great Idea!
Old 10-02-2017, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wow! I love the idea of having advanced readers meet for guided reading as a book club, I can see the endless possibilities and the additional time it would allow me to meet with other groups most in need. THANK YOU!