Kindergarten

Newbie K Teacher (!)

>

CMH1972

Newbie K Teacher (!)
Old 09-29-2017, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,

A little background: last year I began working as a kindergarten para in a public school and really enjoyed it (I am working to get my foot in the door as a teacher).

This year, I was asked by my principal if I had any interest in serving as a long-term sub for a newly added kindergarten classroom until late November. I was, (and still am) pretty psyched about it. I teach a classroom of 24 students, a fairly diverse group of learners (six children who are ELs and everyone bringing different strengths and challenges with them), with a handful of behavior issues-many age-appropriate, a couple slightly concerning.

I feel as if I am just starting to get my feet under me, as far as pacing lessons, lesson delivery, managing things...I still have SOOOO much to learn!

This week, I established a behavior clip chart for (traffic light). I am looking for the best way to use it. Ultimately, I want to focus on and reward positive behaviors, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for appropriate rewards for students who are displaying positive behaviors, beyond stickers?

Trust me, this is the tip of the iceberg for all of the questions I have about teaching K...please bear with me, and thank you!

CMH1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-29-2017, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't want to be negative, but I have found the clips/strips/traffic light styles of classroom management backfire hardcore.

The ones who need it don't benefit and those who don't need it are devastated when it is applied "fairly."

The public aspect of it bothers me.

I ditched that early on.

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for appropriate rewards for students who are displaying positive behaviors, beyond stickers?
I use glitter grapes--I'm not a fan of candy. But I will randomly give kids glitter grapes for being on task. The off task kids get their act together quickly in the hopes of getting one. It's nuts what my kids will do to get a glitter grape.

Glitter grapes are just regular grapes (green work best) washed and, while still wet, sprinkled with Jello powder and then frozen. It's actually a fairly healthy snack--just don't tell my kids!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-30-2017, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't use a clip chart either, for the same reasons as Zia. But you are asking about appropriate rewards... Luckily kinders will work for the smallest things! A stamp on the hand, getting to line up first, an extra minute of recess or free choice. I've heard of people using "smelly spots" which is just a little bit of scented chapstick on the back of the hand (haven't tried that one but want to), one skittle, a star on their paper, getting to sit with the class stuffed animal, etc.

I use both individual positive reinforcement and whole group so that I can reinforce behaviors I need the whole group to display and I can reward those kids that go above and beyond.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinder1993

Rewards
Old 09-30-2017, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use positive rewards as much as possible...kids get fuzzies for positive behaviors.when they get 5 of them,mthey trade for a prize (small, inexpensive items from the dollar store...balloons are a favorite). I also use group points...the group with the most points earns first to recess, extra minute of free time, first choice at a game.

I don't use behavior charts any more...they didn't work with my kids. I do, however, write names on the board for positive behaviors...if they earn 2 checks I HAVE to call home and tell them that they are doing a great job at school...they love this most of all.
Kinder1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

PinkClouds

Old 10-15-2017, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi there. I use a scoreboard in my room. Teacher vs students. I give students points as a class when I see good behavior and give myself points when I know they can do better. At the end of the day, if they have more points than I do, I give them a letter towards the reward we are working on: popsicles, popcorn, recess, etc. if I get more points, I take a letter away.

I also give stickers at the end of the day for students who did not have any behavior issues during the day. Once they earn 5, they get something out of the treasure box.

PinkClouds is offline   Reply With Quote