Old 09-30-2017, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you set up your severe/profound and MD elementary classroom. Grades 1-6

Jengirlmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Welcome to PT
Old 10-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello! I do not have experience with the Severe/Profound group in elementary but have worked mild/mod in elementary, severe/profound in MS and now Behavior/ED in MS/HS. I hope someone answers this for you. I might have some suggestions if you have more information.

Have you seen your space and supplies yet?

What is the actual class list/caseload like?

Are you mainly doing functional skills or academic stuff?

Are you doing any tube feeding/toileting/personal care?

How many paras do you have?

Are you already in session or are you taking over an existing position?

As you can see, a lot depends on those factors. There are a lot of resources here so hopefully, someone else will answer your post too.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Wow!
Old 10-07-2017, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a huge age span! In my state, there can be no more than 4 years different in age, but we try to split between K-2 and 3-5.

I had 36 years experience with students with significant disabilities. I now sub and just started a long term in a classroom for a teacher who left a little over a week ago. I am fortunate that it is in my old building with a few of my former students. I have found that large group activities all day long just do not work. The paras and I just finished rearranging the room to accommodate work stations. Each para and I will man a different work station. I will introduce the concepts in large groups, then have them do an "assignment" in the work station. I can individualize each work station assignment to meet each student's IEP needs. I will also group the children (2 at a time) so they are working on the same task. We will spend 10-15 minutes at each station, then get "free choice" to decrease students' stress levels. They did nothing but sit around a table for several weeks and watch educational videos. I also do large group Smartboard activities. There are many programs out there that allow students to interact with academic activities. When we return to school on Tuesday, I will be working to train all of the paras in each work station. Once they get that down and I finally get a chance to review IEPs, I will then put some documentation forms in each station. Hopefully they don't hire someone within the next week because we will be working out issues and goals/objectives of each student.

Start by deciding what stations you want in your room. I have Fine Motor, Computer, and ELA/Math. We will do ELA in the mornings and Math in the afternoons. I also have a quiet/postioning area so students with autism can chill if they need to pull it together and we can position students out of their wheelchairs.

I am also working on schedules this weekend. I need to figure out how to get everyone out to mainstreaming in general ed classrooms. That's where having 4 paras comes into play.

Feel free to PM me anytime.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 10-07-2017, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach self contained life skills in IL. I have k-5th grade . I use stations in my classroom.
Purplecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Purplecrayons
Old 10-08-2017, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Your district must have gotten a waiver for that age spread. Of course, I work in a large district. We have several elementary schools with self-contained classrooms.

Stations are the way to go, especially with a larger age span. You can really track progress that way much more easily. I haven't even gotten around to pulling together documentation forms. I am praying I have them filed on my old laptop. Hopefully I can get it up and running and look. I would hate to have to reinvent the wheel.

Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jengirlmama

Sped. Room set up
Old 10-10-2017, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well, I'm expecting to be hired at a school that is waiting for me to get my certification tests results and add them to my certificate. This is my 2nd year as a TA and I have been teaching early childhood for years and years ago I was a music teacher. Anyway I don't know much about the room set up but I have some idea about the students. I'm having lunch with the other teacher pretty soon. She's been having to do it all. I have spent time in various classrooms at my current school with 4 sped. rooms. I wanted to know what is standard nowdays. Each room is different. Should there be a play area? Sensory area? Calm down corner? Centers? Or just group areas?

Jengirlmama

Room set up
Old 10-11-2017, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all the input.