Help

Substitute Teachers

Lost my assignment

>

NewArtTeach

Lost my assignment
Old 10-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yesterday about 3:30 PM I picked up a sub job for a half day which would start at 11:45. Jobs this week have been really slow, and all I have gotten was 1 day. Today, at 9:00 AM I got removed from the job by the employee, with no explanation, just poof I lost my job for today. Now I do not think I would be able to get any kind of job for today. I lost a lot of time looking for another job. I am very annoyed an unsure if I need to do anything about it.

Has this ever happened to you?

NewArtTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Dogmom3

Old 10-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There's probably something else going on. There's a chance that the person who posted the position had already promised the job to someone else but put it in incorrectly or even just found out someone they had used before was available and wanted a sub they knew rather than someone they didn't.

I'm not sure if there's anything you could do without making you look bad for complaining. You could email the teacher who posted the position and ask about it, but again, that could possibly backfire. I would probably just brush it off and continue forward.

Could you go into schools where you want to sub and perhaps introduce yourself to the receptionist and explain that you are a sub? I think this could be a better way to end up with sub jobs and combat the fact that you're not seeing a lot of jobs posted. Last year, I worked as a sub almost exclusively at one school, and I had a great reputation in the school. Often teachers/aides would come straight to me before posting positions so they would never even appear to the general sub population. I think your best bet is to try to create these relationships. I subbed for the first time at a school on Tuesday and within like five minutes I had already been asked to come back for another teacher.
Dogmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wouldn't say anything. Many reasons this can happen as DogMom3 indicated, and yes it has happened to me.
What about adding other districts? I am up to 3 now (1 HS in each, 1 MS and 2-5 elementary) and I have tons of work, and get to chose more then I did when I was only in 1 district.
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

NewArtTeach

Old 10-05-2017, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Update: I get a call about 12:30 pm, from the school asking why I am not subbing. (I am a person that likes to arrive early, figure out the lesson plan, and ask questions.) I had to explain that I was removed by an employee around 9 am. They did not believe me. I had to bring up there was a email sent. They did ended the call quickly, I think they checked something.

I will be getting hired into another district this November. Which I am excited for another group art teachers to meet, and other job openings.
NewArtTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 10-05-2017, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They had probably printed out the list of subs before the cancelation was entered, so you were still on their list. I might make a mental note not to take a job for that teacher again. But for all we know, there was a legitimate reason for the late change... Maybe a doctor appt got canceled, who knows.

YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Yep
Old 10-05-2017, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

First off, I can sympathize with you about the slow work week. There have been very little jobs I'd be willing to take due to Monday being a holiday.

Second, I've been removed at the last minute many times too. Sometimes with explanation, but most the time no reason or human contact.

This admin at this school you mention doesn't sound very competent.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-05-2017, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would assume there was a sudden change of plans such as a cancelled appointment or meeting. It happens.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Half days are sometimes for meetings
Old 10-05-2017, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did a half day yesterday so the teacher could work on a PBIS flow chart with administrators. I've had jobs cancelled when special ed IEP meetings were cancelled. And one was cancelled the morning of. If I'd gotten to school and checked in before the call, they would have paid me for a half day. One day that happened, and they found a place for me for two periods, then I went home.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

It happens frequently
Old 10-05-2017, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

at least once a month to me. The first month of school I showed up for a sub job and the teacher was still in the classroom... she had input the dates wrong! She needed me for the next week! While we were getting it straight in the office... cancelling and re-inputting the job, I got a call from a nearby school to come in. Luckily!

The same school input a job for a full day, and when I got there I found out it was early dismissal for half-day for everyone.... AESOP/Frontline fixed that day twenty days later!

I've picked up a 4-day job at the end of the month in my second school district; I called the school secretary to be sure I had the correct location of the school. The school secretary checked and warned me that this job is contingent on several factors that won't be determined until two days before the assignment. I may or might not have that job at the end of the month. But I made a valuable contact with that school secretary, and learned that they sometimes need subs on very short notice.... the morning of!

I get a lot of contact calls for the morning of from two schools that I worked for, last year AND I get job offers nearly every time I am working in a school. I got one today for tomorrow. The secretary input it into the system assigned directly to me.

I try to keep a good attitude because stuff happens, and I know the schools are trying to cover classes when teachers are absent.

Last edited by KatrynG; 10-05-2017 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: added thought
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

cancellation
Old 10-07-2017, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Make friends with the sub coordinators. If that happened to me, I would call the sub coordinator for that school, tell her what happened and see if there is another job you can fill that day.

AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Don't take it personally or it will eat at you. I've been removed so the building sub can have the job. Building subs always get priority over regular subs.
A lot of things change, so let it slide and pick up another job.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote