Help

Substitute Teachers

Supervision removal

>

CC96

Supervision removal
Old 10-07-2017, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a very disruptive high school student roaming the room causing the other students to become disruptive, so I had supervision remove him. Hopefully, I will not be penalized for this action.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

History
Old 10-08-2017, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This student probably has a history... do high school students have IEPs? How can you teach the other students with chaos going on?

Why would you be penalized?
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfood

I Understand Your Concern
Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

CC96, I understand your concern regarding your situation. I too sub at the High School level, and for the first time in two years I had to send a student to the Dean. I did so in order to maintain effectiveness and credibility, not only in this particular class, but in future classes. Further, not knowing the student's track record, I thought it best to make the Dean aware of the situation and let them sort it out. I strongly believe it was the right decision. Later, it was brought to my attention that this student has had many instances of this type and that strengthened my conviction. I can certainly understand why you feel there may be repercussions, but I'm guessing that won't be the case, especially if you are called back to sub. For KatrynG, yes, some High School students do have IEP's.
Mindfood is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Relax
Old 10-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've had to ask for principal back up a few times as a sub and I taught for 40 years and have a large bag of tricks and voice control over many students. It happens to all of us.
The referred student is usually a frequent flyer to the office.
I usually check in with admin at the end of the day after a referral just to see if they have any feedback. It's always been, I know this kid very well and see him/her often.
One prince shared the child misbehaved in her office and continued even after his father was called in. Made me feel better for myself and sorry for the adults in his life and glad I was only passing through.
You did the right thing for the rest of the students.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote