Help

Substitute Teachers

Strong Armed by Charter School

>

TayloredSub

Strong Armed by Charter School
Old 10-08-2017, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This school year I have signed up to work for both charter and public schools in my area.

I recently began working as a Substitute Teacher with National Heritage Academies. Though I have only worked at one of their schools for 6 days, I already had enough of them.

Every day I arrive at the school, I never know my assignment and put me anywhere. I strongly dislike it because I prefer grades 6-12 only. Students are with you the whole day! Lunch breaks are 15 minutes but they usually have meetings during it. There's no planning periods either.

In addition to that, the principal and deans have decided to make me the 6th grade ELA teacher. My license is only general/short-term. I am not a long-term substitute. They also have me attending every meeting before and after school.
Whenever I don't show up to the school without accepting a assignment, I'm called and told that I need to be at the school.

I'm so fed up with NAH and as a result I will not be going back! It's irrational to demand full-time responsibilities out of a part-time, on call employee. No benefits, no extra pay, nothing! Not even any lesson plans. I'm also wondering how charter are getting away with breaking state policies.

I'm not sure if all Charter schools are ran this way but if so run!

TayloredSub is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Not sure but
Old 10-08-2017, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That does sound like a lot to expect of a substitute. I don't know much at all about charter schools, but I think I would probably walk away unless I could see a potential for a good future at one.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Old 10-09-2017, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Send them a letter telling them to remove you from the sub list. Don't say or do anything negative, just part ways gracefully.

Good luck.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I trust
Old 10-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You haven't been attending meetings on non scheduled days even if called in. If you have, send a bill for your time separately from the request to be removed from their sub list. If they call, you might say you are off their sub list but will consider returning after they pay your bill.
This is an unfortunate situation and they are taking advantage. In my experience with a charter school, nothing of the kind happened and they paid better than the district rate. Every charter is different even as every district is.
I'd consider a report to the state employment bureau regarding being called in for unpaid time. Look up off the clock work for some very eye opening information and resources.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 10-12-2017, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Stay away from charters. The one I subbed at didn't feel like a school, more an office building. Students talked over me from the get-go and there was no security guard. I was told by an aide - we don't need one - the local district has all the bad kids. Right. The discipline isn't any better, and even if I were full time I wouldn't work at one. You have no union rights, and are expected to work long days and be on call for students.

Subtastic is online now   Reply With Quote