Help

Substitute Teachers

Getting switched survey

>

lovetosub

Getting switched survey
Old 10-10-2017, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Truth, I am the Building Sub for a middle school with a tough crowd. Last year, a student threatened to kill me so that should tell you something.

Because I know the students and the curriculum as well as how things are run, teachers are allowed to request me. And they do so often. The teacher will put the absence into Aesop as usual, but on the day, I Substitute for that teacher and the person who shows up for that assignment is put somewhere else where he or she is needed. In essence, they are switched.

Last year, a Sub complained loudly about this policy, raising a stink with teachers as well as the front office. She got banned.

So question: how much does this bother you? And why?

lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

depends on flexibility
Old 10-10-2017, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not many supply teachers appreciate the "bait and switch" game. In light of this practise, there are some supplies who are flexible at a moment's notice but I wouldn't expect them back anytime soon if they're not given some prior notice. They sign up for what's on the system so you know the answer to "why". However, what I would do in your school's situation if you have any say is to put a generic message that comes out of every assignment from your school "This assignment is subject to change so flexible supplies are definitely welcome...".

What I don't understand in your sitch is why even bother calling or entering the absence on some system? Couldn't they just notify you direct? Help me understand please.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
TiredSub

TiredSub

Not cool!
Old 10-10-2017, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

While I understand that sometimes things get switched at the last minute for a variety of reasons, I would be very upset to get to a job where it was known in advance that I would not be in the classroom I signed up for. As another poster said it's the old bait and switch. I don't understand why the job isn't just assigned to you by the front office if they know in advance you will be taking that classroom. I'd be mad and make a stink too, but the school wouldn't have to ban me, I'd drop that school like a hot potato, in fact I have dropped schools that pull that crap.

mooba1

Same here, uncool
Old 10-10-2017, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No one appreciates the ol' bait and switch routine. Depending on the school, I might give them a second chance, but if it happened a second time, I'd do the same as the pp would--put the school in my rearview mirror.

Sure, I can be flexible, and I do understand things sometime happen that necessitate a last minute shuffle, but that isn't the case with your school. To be quite honest, this bait and switch routine is certainly going to backfire on your admin. Subs DO talk, and word must certainly be getting around that a sub job at your school will likely not be as advertised. Add that to a school with a challenging population, and it just seems foolish to treat subs that way, not to mention unethical.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

I'd complain loudly also
Old 10-10-2017, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't understand why the job isn't just assigned to you when it's entered into AESOP? I do mostly long terms, but in between I'll do random days, and those days are just assigned to me by the teacher. Honestly, I wouldn't want a job that another sub thought she/he was accepting...

One of the few perks of subbing is that we get to pick and choose our assignments. Most subs take jobs based on what they are comfortable teaching. I don't teach band or art or chorus, so I don't sub for those teachers. If I got switched there, I'd be upset as it would be a day of babysitting. No thank you.

A weird thing happened last year that annoyed me. I was doing a week for a 6th grade math teacher. I was pulled from my class two days in a row to give benchmarks to a class in another grade who also had a sub but that sub couldn't do the tests. I understood, but it still bothered me. They wouldn't pull a regular teacher to do that, so why pull me? I hate administering tests. It's boring. I wanted to be teaching math.

Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-10-2017, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Usually when I am pulled from an job the replacement assignment is one of the less desirable "Failed to Fill" assignments. Like today, I was supposed to sub in the nice, quiet, and calm 2nd grade. Instead I'm switched to 5th grade, there are no lesson plans or materials to be found. Made for a very rough day.

Basically it bothers me because if I wanted the switch job I would have taken the switch job to begin with.

Honestly I pretty much done with subbing and having to deal with the drama and lack of support that goes along with it. I'm tired of hearing "he's a good kid, just a little off (a little off?!) because you're here. (This does not make me feel better if that was your intent.)
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-11-2017, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't think it is fair to switch up sub assignments, though sometimes, it really has to be done. The worst I saw was an older man reported to school, dressed very nicely to sub in the classroom. For whatever reason he was switched to cover gym. I can't remember why the switch was made, just thought it was very unfair. I also do not remember ever seeing him again after that.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Subman...
Old 10-11-2017, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

you made me laugh. Yesterday was the worst 5th grade ever. The neighbor teacher said it was because they had 2 different subs, one Monday and me on Tuesday. Seriously! The Monday sub had a much worse day than I did from the look of her end of day note.

Back to the switching question, yes I hate it. It is one of the reasons I sub very little middle school anymore they seem to be the worst offenders. Do I complain, not really. Lately I seem to be just going though the motions and getting the job done. At this point in my life it is just a job that I have to do for 2 more years until my youngest graduates college. If I didn't have to deal with my in-laws and their assorted needs I would quit and get a regular job, but I need the flexibility. Sorry for the vent.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ota

Old 10-12-2017, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When you say Building Sub, is that the same as a Roving Sub (go where you are needed)?

Depending on the school as to how much it bothers me. Some teachers are lazy or lack classroom management skills. While other teachers are great and have classroom management skills. If I picked an assignment for a teacher that is great and then got switched to a terrible classroom, then heck yeah I'm mad. It bothers me enough to not return to that school.

Why? Simple. I know I can work at other schools who have their act together as educators. Seriously, how rude! That was not your assignment. Subs talk. If I found out you were at that school taking other subs' assignments I would go on line and cancel the job. It is hard enough without being undermined.
Ota is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Not sure I understand the situation...
Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Maybe because we don't use Aesop... our system is informal and wonderfully personal. But if I do understand what's happening, it does sound like "bait and switch" -- or at least misleading.

I remain flexible and understand that I'm a substitute. The nature of that job is such that I won't always know where I'm going to end up... part of my value as a sub is that I can adapt. I have personally never felt that I was baited and switched... but if I was constantly recruited for a job that in reality doesn't exist, I'd find that annoying. Frankly, it sounds a bit like the teacher is leveraging the system to achieve what she wants. If you are going to be her sub, why put it in the system?

Rather than raise a stink, I think I'd figure it out and simply not sign up for any jobs listed for that teacher.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

personal or not
Old 10-16-2017, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
sounds a bit like the teacher is leveraging the system to achieve what she wants. If you are going to be her sub, why put it in the system?
Sometimes it's possible that there might be multiple absences. So the initial poster has 1st dibs. And I'm not holding that against this initial poster or at anyone. And I feel that there should be common courtesy in letting a guest know that it's subject to change.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-19-2017, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I HATE IT. HATE IT HATE.

But I smile and accept...what am I supposed to do? I'm there in the office and they give me the news. It messes with my head. I'm walking in and mentally prepared to sub 5th grade and then they tell me I'm subbing Kindergarten---which is my worst grade to sub and I never take K jobs.

It's rotten, bottom line. But it's also taught me to be more open minded and accepting of what comes my way. Ugh.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 10-19-2017, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I do not think I have ever been intentionally deceived into covering an undesirable class, but there are sometimes reasons why I get switched, but it is not because the school is being sly.

There are a couple reasons why this happens, and I go in expecting the possibility most occasions.

I accept many jobs either for RSP, or for co-teaching special ed classes. These are classes where the special ed kids mainstream , but there is a 2nd teacher to lend them support.

If the school is short of subs, I realize I am the most obvious choice to be switched to cover an unfilled class.

What is more frustrating is that AESOP classes are not always updated from year to year, so when the teacher changes grades, you can be in for a surprise.

Last year I took a six day assignment spread out all year for 3rd grade, only to arrive for day one to discover the teacher switched to Kinder.

AESOP did not get the update.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote