Help

Substitute Teachers

Do you think this is snarky comment

>

elepen

Do you think this is snarky comment
Old 10-11-2017, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I took the students to the elementary science lab. The teacher who is overweight and frumpy looking asked me if I was a retired teacher and I said yes how can you tell. She said because subs your age are usually retired teachers. If she only knew I'm pushing 69 next week I've always looked younger. She probably thought I was in my late 50s
The best compliment I've gotten is that they could tell I was a retired teacher because of the way I was with the students.

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-11-2017, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't take it as snarky.

Good for you for staying active and involved! While I hope I am not to the place where I am still working (either for pleasure, amusement, or need), I do so hope that I am able to be active and that I know who my family is when I am pushing 70.

I don't mean that snarky, either! I have always looked considerably younger than my years, but in the last 10 I think it has caught up with me some. My hair is greying fast and that few pounds really makes a difference. Who knows, though? I don't think I look my age now, but I feel it sometimes.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Old 10-11-2017, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't like the attitude that subs aren't teachers. I think of myself as a part-time very versatile teacher. I thnk if subs were considered teachers and treated accordingly by school staffs, our job would be easier. Too often, we're thought of as babysitters, just filling in while the parents are out. And as far as the age thing goes, you'd never guess it and I'll never tell.
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't think the comment was snarky at all. I'm not certain how it could be viewed as negative. Folks retire quite early and often sub.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 10-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your comments.
I'm getting better getting a thick skin She just made a statement of what she observed nothing more nothing less.
I planned to not work at all but subbing is so flexible and you're already an expert
Here I only have to work 9 days for the whole year to stay on the sub list

Gromit

Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
overweight and frumpy looking
This strikes me as snarkier than "subs your age."
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

a little too inquisitive
Old 10-11-2017, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This person's a little too nosey but maybe it's just her way,
Quote:
asked me if I was a retired teacher
. Whatever happened to "Hello, my name is Ms. overweight and frumpy. So you in for Ms. Regular. How's it going?"
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 10-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

True Gromit
It's a good thing people can't read our minds yet
I would never say that out loud

twin2

Nah
Old 10-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think it was merely an observation.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

stolaf

Sub Attitude
Old 10-26-2017, 01:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with you. The negative attitude toward substitute teachers starts at the very top and filters down. Admin and classroom teachers need to understand that most substitute teachers are experienced educators with multiple degrees, certifications, and decades of classroom experience. They need to understand that we 'auxiliary teachers', (I hate the term substitute because it implies that replacement teachers are second rate.), return to the classroom because we really miss working with children and to provide desperately needed support. Admin and teachers must watch their body language and voice when they are discussing subs. That negative and/or superior attitude towards subs comes through loud and clear. The students pick up on this and it plays into their respect and behavior.
Yesterday I had two fifth grad students who objected to the teacher's lesson plan and one said 'That we have to do this because subs don't know anything.' His little friend replied, 'Yeah subs are dumb.' This time I nearly lost it.
Admin should give strict consequences for poor or hostile behavior toward a sub because we don't have to return to that school and the word gets out through the 'subs' dark net' that this a school to be avoided.
Districts should take all possible steps to make sure that both teachers and students realize that subs are an essential part of the educational process.
Something as simple as a district T-shirt and a morning greeting to the'guest teachers' during the morning announcements would go a long way toward signaling to the students that the school values their subs.

Last edited by stolaf; 10-26-2017 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: added thought
stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote

thecoast

Substitute ______?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have told students preemptively: "I'm not a substitute carpenter nor a substitute electrician. I'm a substitute teacher". I tell them I know it sounds obvious but it obviously needs to be said. (I will soon post about what I think is my widely varying experience within a few weeks.)
thecoast is offline   Reply With Quote