Substitute Teachers

Grade 3 and 4 filler ideas

>

Ktime

Grade 3 and 4 filler ideas
Old 10-11-2017, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone,

I am going to be subbing in a Grade 3 and a Grade 4 classroom and would like to have a few "filler ideas" up my sleeve... for any down time..if there is any...any ideas that come to mind out there?

Thank you.

Ktime is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 10-11-2017, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, my go-to filler is extra reading time, either on their own or let them partner read if you think they won't get out of hand. 3rd and 4th graders generally always have books to read. Or you could let them draw.

If you need longer you could have them write a paragraph about themselves and draw a picture to go with it. Then have students share in front of class. Any class should have extra paper kids could use for this. Or they could rip a page or two from notebooks.

Or you could ask a question, like what is something they are thankful for or what is their favorite whatever and let every kid answer. This works best is you have them sit in a circle. I always let them say pass if they don't want to share.

Many classes have games they know that they can do if there's extra time. Heads Up Seven Up or Silent Ball are two that many kids know. Simons Says would work well too.

If you have a Smart Board you could do a Go Noodle.

These are just the first things that come to my mind. Years ago I used to carry around things like piles of word searches or books that I could read from to kids. But I got tired of carrying around tons of stuff! So now I generally try to use whatever is in the classroom.
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-11-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our days are so packed with new curriculum that I usually do not need filler material. Years ago I used to carry an extra book to share with the students if we had extra time. Otherwise I would ask a student for their spelling words list, then have them play Sparkle. I carried flash cards in case the extra time occurred during math, then they would play around the world.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-12-2017, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Along with the great suggestions you've gotten, I would like to addd one of my favorites: hink pinks. The kids love trying to figure these out. For 3rd and 4th, I'd give them a couple of hink pinks so they get the idea, then move on to hinky pinkys and hinkety pinketys. Just google those, and you'll get a ton of examples.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Books
Old 10-12-2017, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I carry 3 or 4 books: 1 of math riddles; 1 read aloud picture book (a Newbery Caldecott winner or honoree); 1 chapter book that I know kids like... like the Tale of a Fourth Grade Nothing.... hilarious!; and maybe an unusual non-fiction book... how to do Math... unusual animals or insects... story about a struggling reader...

I've actually used a children's counting book as a word problem book from 1st through 5th grade to see if the kids could figure out the math/addition/multiplication....(There 3 flowers in a field; each flower has 6 petals; there are 2 bugs on each petal; each bug has 6 legs and 2 wings and 2 antennae.... how many_____________ are on 1 flower? 2 flowers? 3 flowers?)

The third graders usually do better than the fifth graders!

KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Ktime

Thank you so much..
Old 10-14-2017, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

..for these great ideas!

Cetti

Old 10-16-2017, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have them write a word down the left hand side of the page. Then write words/sentences associated with the topic you chose. Then they can draw, color, cut it out in a shape.
Ex: write "autumn" down left side of paper, vertically ("A" is amazing time of year, "U" etc...) could cut out as leaves. I'm always impressed with what they come up with.
Also, the possibilities are endless!
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

Ktime

Great idea too!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you for this!

Wellson

fun fillers
Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I keep a set of story cubes and boggle in my bag. Boggle is easy they just need paper, or even as a class you can write the words on the board. You don't even need the actual game you can just pick random letters. I find that having the game makes the class associate it with fun instead of work.

I also always have a stack of extreme dot-2-dots, those are a hit all the way into high school.

I also have a stash of perplexors that I use. You can find sample pages on the mindware website for different grade levels. They are fun little word puzzles.
Wellson is offline   Reply With Quote