Help

The Job Search

Starting out again

>

cattleya

Starting out again
Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I messed up really bad while I was getting my Masters in Education. I was a substitute teacher and was having a massive health issue while trying to keep some children in line. I will not go into it further. I was investigated and fired from the district a year ago. The investigation was dropped, and it is not on my record. I also still have my license.

I want to start over again. I have a BA in English, and a M.Ed. I have not taken any tests, and have not student taught.

I live in a state where they really need teachers and was told by the PED that I just needed to apply and take the first 3 tests, and generally, the student teaching would be done while I was teaching as a full-time teacher. They seem fine about taking back a teacher who has erred.

These are the rules for the state I am in, and I can't speak for any other state.

I cannot work in the town where I am in because I was fired here, but I can get a job farther away in the little farming communities. It would be a long commute, but at least I could redeem myself.

Should I give this up? Is it possible to start again after a bad mistake? I had all but given up, and now I hear that it is not impossible.

Really, it took me a year of unemployment in which I was desperately sick, and I feel I have been punished enough.

cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Well er...thanks?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry no one has chimed in. I resolved the issue, so to speak. I contacted the PED, talked to an investigator, and found that my license (Sub) is perfectly fine because the investigation was closed (in my favor). I was counseled by the ethics investigator I spoke to, to either try to make it good with this school system, or drop them totally and move on to apply at another town. That is the road I will take. No more contact with this school system.

I need a job pretty badly now, so I will sub until I pass all of my tests and get my intern or teacher's license. I live in a state where there are 7 tests, and you can be hired as a teacher before you take the final. My big problem is Math. Obviously, I can do elementary math, but the test calls for college algebra, and I get the formulas and steps mixed up.

I also have a college class that I can teach (with a Master's) coming up.

Last edited by cattleya; 10-19-2017 at 12:53 PM..
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote