Help

First Grade

1st grader with no academic background

>

Munchkins

1st grader with no academic background
Old 10-14-2017, 01:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am getting a sweet 1st grader from South Africa who attended K there, but it had very little academics. The mom and she visited yesterday, and the mom says she knows a few letters but can't read at all. I did a quick running record, and she couldn't even track words in a level b book. I am afraid the child will be overwhelmed.

I've already called in our literacy coach to assess her, so I will find out exactly what she needs.

Here's my question to you- assuming she's at least an average student, will she be able to catch up and have a successful year? I feel so badly for her. Luckily I have a very small class this year- she will be my 15th.

The mom asked if she should put her into our K program. I wanted to say yes, but it's not my decision. Our k program is amazing, and is attached to our building. The free k program is half day. Full day is available but for a hefty fee. Maybe after the assessments we can have the mom talk to the principal of the primary center. The poor child- she looked scared to death. I can only imagine how overwhelmed she'll be.

Thanks if you read this far!!!

Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish

What I would do
Old 10-14-2017, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would have her attend K in the morning to fill in the gaps and then first grade in the afternoon if your schedule can accommodate this. I feel she needs all day in school.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I'm assuming your school doesn't have
Old 10-14-2017, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Reading recovery. It's a first grade program that pulls kids out for a 30 minute one-on-one reading/writing lesson. That would be perfect for her.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Not reading recovery
Old 10-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

But we do have a basic skills program that will pull her 4 times a week for reading. I’ll have to see how her math is, she may score in for that, too. Maybe she’s a quick study. I’ll see what next week brings.

Thanks for your responses. I hope the mom decides K is where she needs to be, for her sake. My P said he had every confidence I can “work miracles” with her. Thanks for the pressure- I’ll do my best, but I’m no Annie Sullivan!

cal33

Old 10-15-2017, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would put her in K, she is just going to get further behind. I have had a few students like this. One we did send to Kindergarten for the morning and she stayed with me for the afternoon, then did First grade over.. One was very behind and finally held back in 2nd grade. Talk with the principal and counselor as soon as possible.

cal33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 10-15-2017, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will talk to the mom tomorrow. The P is new, and I don't feel comfortable talking to him about it again. I am going to have her talk to the principal of the primary center. Our building is 1-5, so K is another building (attached to ours, but a different P.). I hope she talks to the primary center P- I know and trust that P to steer her in the right direction.

Please send good thoughts and prayers that everything works out for the best for the little girl- she deserves to feel successful and good about herself. Thanks.

Mrs. S.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ideally she could do 1/2 day K and afternoon first but if you get her, I would put her beside one of the "little mommas" in your class. Every class has 1 or 2 kids who will mother the other kids. I did that with one who knew no letters or sounds. Within a few weeks, she was at least writing her name. She did end up repeating.
Mrs. S. is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Thanks, everyone.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The parents did end up deciding to keep her in 1st with me. She seems bright, and is motivated to learn her letters and sounds. She has good social skills, and notices everything and is already following along with all our routines. I look forward to seeing how much she will grow this year. We shall see how the year goes. Thanks for the advice. I wish I had input into her program, but I don't.

MrsWok

Old 11-01-2017, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It sounds like the parent has already made their decision so I don't know how much my input matters now, but you sound super positive and that's exactly what this little girl needs! It may turn out that she will repeat first grade, that could always be an option. I had a student that had to do that.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Actually...
Old 11-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The little girl only stayed a week, and then the mom pulled her to put her into kindergarten. She didn't want her at the bottom of the class, but needed to get her husband on board. The child is sooo happy!! Thanks!