Co-teaching in a bilingual classroom without knowing spanish - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Co-teaching in a bilingual classroom without knowing spanish

>

panther1987

Co-teaching in a bilingual classroom without knowing spanish
Old 10-16-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I am a fairly experienced resource teacher. However, I do not speak Spanish. I have a student who I am currently serving in the bilingual general education classroom. She has a writing goal that addresses mechanics like capitals and periods. She is in second grade and is still writing mostly in Spanish. This makes it somewhat difficulty to assess her writing. I've tried having my para translate the work but that's not really part of her job and we have enough kids she really doesn't have time to do that. I've also tried using google translate. Unfortunately, her spacing makes this difficult since I can't always tell where words end and begin.

I don't feel like I am really helping her. We have a review ARD coming up soon to try to address these issues but I am at a loss as to how to improve her services without a bilingual resource teacher, which we don't have.

Any ideas?

panther1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 10-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does your district have a bilingual itinerant sped teacher?
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

panther1987

That would be too easy.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No, no bilingual sped teachers, itinerant or otherwise.
panther1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 10-21-2017, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's tough then. I served a kid with in class support in a bilingual class last year, but I do speak enough Spanish to where I can read and generally understand it, and he was on level academically and had no academic goals (he was in behavior program).

If the goal addresses mechanics, I do know that Spanish is pretty close to English with capitalization and punctuation (a difference would be the upside down question mark and exclamation mark at the beginning of sentences), but it would be hard for you to address say, commas because you wouldn't know what she was writing.

Does your district have a multilingual department at all? There should be someone available to help you. ESL person on campus? I would ask him/her to help. They are supposed to serve all ESL kids, which this kid is. Also, the students teacher can help you assess their writing. The student belongs to them as well as you.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Go Around
Old 10-21-2017, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have about 25% ELs in our district. We’ve been searching for a bilingual SPED teacher for YEARS. But we are rural and despite what the superintendent says, our salaries are NOT competitive. Not even regionally competitive.

Our go around is hiring bilingual paraprofessionals that provide bilingual support during special education service minutes. We have two of these per building and, while obviously not ideal, it goes a long way in the right direction.

I teach in a bilingual room. It is excruciatingly difficult to qualify our students for SPED, because we have to prove the deficit exists in both languages. Then, when they are finally qualified, providing services is challenging due to the lack of bilingual resources. I am very sympathetic to your situation and hope you can find a solution soon.

If all else fails, maybe the district would reimburse some basic Spanish coursework??

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote