Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

pay

>

pay
Old 10-16-2017, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It appears that subs aren't always given a day's pay if they exceed their 3.75 hour mark. If I'm understand this correctly, even 4 hours should go down as a full day. The other issue is working all day without a prep period. Any comments?

4048 is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-17-2017, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suppose your pay depends on your state and school district. In mine, when I subbed, 4 hours was not considered a full day.

At High Schools, I have often been moved to sub in another class when "prep period" comes around. I've often had to sub without a lunch or a bathroom break. And in elementary settings, prep period is when the kids do specials.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote
TiredSub

TiredSub

Depends on district
Old 10-17-2017, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In our district anything over 3.75 hours is paid as a full day. We also get paid an extra $20/day at the middle/high school level if we don't get a prep period - whether because the teacher doesn't have one or the front office asks us to cover a class during a scheduled prep period.

SubMan

Old 10-18-2017, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Districts are penny wise and dollar foolish it seems. One where I work has early dismissal professional development days for teachers. If we sub on those days we are paid for half a day even though we work 2/3rd of the day. We "donate" 75 minutes to the district for the "privilege" of working there on an early dismissal day. None of my districts compensates subs for extra work, we frequently have coverages or extra duties assigned.

For what it's worth, my retail job pay better than subbing; maybe this is why it is so hard to find subs.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've never expected full day pay if I work 4.75 hours for example. THe sub office puts in the hours....so I've been paid exact for the hours I'm there....7.30 hours....5.5 etc.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Wellson

Full or Half
Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district does Full Day pay or Half Day pay. 4 hours or less is Half Day pay and anything over 4, even if its 4 hours and 2 minutes is Full Day pay. Also we are not guaranteed a prep period. Often times you are asked to go fill in for another class during prep. This usually depends on the school and the need. Some school have a hard time getting subs, usually the ones that don't treat the subs well to being with
Wellson is offline   Reply With Quote

Cayo

Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Anything up to 3.75 hours is a half day. Over 3.75 hours is a full day. I once had an aide job at which I was supposed to be relieved at the 3.75 hour mark. However, the person who was supposed to relieve me was 10 minutes late. You better believe I fought for a full day's pay -- and got it. I expect to be compensated according to the pay schedule. I'm not giving the powers that be any freebies.
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote