Help

Substitute Teachers

When the going gets tough, there's always the bathroom

>

c6g

When the going gets tough, there's always the bathroom
Old 10-18-2017, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been noticing this more and more in the last few weeks. We'll be in the middle of an important teacher-directed lesson, often math, and many students will be actively participating. Meanwhile, others will be struggling. I'll ask a question, a hand will go up, but instead of giving the answer, I'll hear, "Can I go to the bathroom?"

The students who are "getting it" usually aren't the ones asking. It's usually the ones who are having trouble, or those who aren't very interested. I always let these kids go, but sometimes, I'll make them try to answer the question first.

When they leave, it's often for a long bathroom visit. I don't say much when they return, but try to get them immediately back into the classroom routine. It's a shame that some kids really don't feel comfortable with the material they're expected to learn, and look for every possible escape instead.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 10-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Math is also being presented in new ways that are confusing for some but helpful for others. Fraction division for example: 6th grade Common Core is now using picture models that the students have to know how to draw and they must write about how they solved the problems (language arts integration). It's taken some time for me to get used to the new methods. Yesterday several students were asking me why, why, why do we have to do it this way, it's so confusing. What could I say? I told them there is more than one way to solve a math problem and these new ways give them options, etc. Personally I just want to say, "Flip the second fraction and multiply!"
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-18-2017, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes it is sad that they student ask for a bathroom break when they should be participating in a lesson. I sometimes say they can go after we get to a certain point, but usually I just let them go.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I never know if they have an uti or some medical condition. I let them go. The only time I do not is when too many start to ask at the same time. At that point I would line them up and make them all go, then later, continue with math when they are supposed to have "fun time" or something.
cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Nope...
Old 10-19-2017, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They may not go the bathroom when I'm teaching. Don't even ask. When I'm done and they're doing independent work, that's the time. I tell them if they can't hold it that long, I'm sending them to the nurse, not the bathroom, because there's an issue.

To be fair, I usually do long terms, and they know the rules. I can tell if it's someone who really needs to go. But even in day to day jobs, I tell them they can wait until instruction is over. I'll probably get in trouble for this one day, lol.

Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

When ya gotta go...
Old 10-20-2017, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm very careful about denying bathroom privileges, but I don't just let them go without either a question or a reminder--and sometimes both.

My question is usually something like, "Can you wait just a few minutes until...?" (I don't do this in front of the whole class, I walk over to them.)

My reminder is usually something like, "You're going to want to hurry or you'll miss..."

Most of my "instruction" time is done in short bursts, so the majority end up waiting. Those who do go will get some one-on-one time when they return. (For example, if I'm setting up a worksheet and they miss some of that, I'll work with them individually on the part they missed.)

I wish our lesson plans allowed for more "brain breaks." I'd be willing to bet there'd be fewer bathroom breaks.

I also think the kids don't get tired of learning, I think they get tired of being taught!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Bathroom breaks
Old 10-20-2017, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I sub, so I let them go to the bathroom but I track the names and times. Usually other students will say "there's no going to bathroom during instruction/carpet time!" This is cool, so I make them wait a few minutes until the modeling has been completed.

I generally allow kids to go to the bathroom whenever they ask (unless we've just had a bathroom break!) With math, I've found that students like coming to the board to show their work/answers in front of the class... at least the younger kids do.

I ask a lot of questions to try to make the math more relevant to something they understand, but I have noticed there are a lot of ways of doing math these days.... sticks and stones long division, short division, place value groupings, distributive property, and tallying.... The good news is if there is a name for it... someone has placed it in a video on YouTube!
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Ota

Old 10-21-2017, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do not let them go during teaching a lesson. If I can hold it, so can they. Should it be such that they insist they can't, I too send them to the nurse. They are reminded to bring the slip back from the nurse with the nurse's signature. The pass (slip) to the nurse pretty much explains the situation.

During none teaching times or when the lesson is showing a video (especially a boring one), I do let them use the bathroom.
Ota is offline   Reply With Quote