Help

Third Grade

Centers?

>

jillms

Centers?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I typically have run my classroom with more of a whole group approach. What are your thoughts on using centers in the classroom? How many days do your students go to centers? What skills are stressed? Do you have any suggestions on how to organize? Lastly, please share any additional information you think i should know about centers. Thanks!

jillms is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Centers
Old 10-19-2017, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am retired now but did do centers back in 2015-2016 and before.

I learned that three centers worked best for me. I think that is mostly because of my classroom size made that possible and four groups would have been crowded.

For me that put about 7 students in each group. It is a little big but still workable.

I also liked three groups because I usually made each activity about 20 minutes long. That meant that we could complete center rotations in an hour. That works out nice and neat time wise.

Students like centers. I think it is because they rotate around the room and change their geography. Plus they know what the next activity is going to be and they like the anticipation of moving on to the next lesson.

Whenever I designed a center that they really enjoyed I would do it at least one more time so they got a little more time for that activity.

I explained each center before starting. I had basic instructions for each on the board or printed for them at each center. Then I walked around and facilitated.

We usually focused on math or LA skills. One or the other, not both. On occasion I would hold centers for science.

I hope I said something helpful. It won't be perfect when you first start but go ahead and give it a try. See what works for you. Kids love centers and I am a firm believer if they enjoy the learning they will learn more.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Old 10-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Jill - good question. I've also run my room whole group, but because of our ELA program may need to run centers. 1956BD - good suggestions. I suspect I should give it a try...I'll let you know!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Notsurewhatto

Centers
Old 10-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm also a whole group kinda teacher. When I came to this school setting, three years ago, I had a fellow teacher bash me because I wasn't running centers all day. whereas the p didn't require centers she bent toward this teacher so I felt forced to make it a go. I found that students came in like it was play time all day long. It didn't fit with my teaching style nor did I feel like it was effective learning. Now that teacher is gone I've had time to reflect on what works and what doesn't work. Centers are good if you set the boundaries and you teach the expectations. Some kids, especially coming from the younger grades, come into 3rd grade with the idea that school is one big playday. I start with setting the bar that we are now bigger kids. I am striving for rigor and doing our best. After the first three weeks I start with math groups once a week. I set the expectations and what our objectives are for the group. I make sure that I teach each math game or center. I also make the first few weeks ones where I can walk around and manage each group. Later I work into a "work with teacher" group. Now the kids look forward to group day and I feel like it's more effective for student learning.
Notsurewhatto is offline   Reply With Quote

jillms

Old 10-24-2017, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for your responses. You gave me a lot of great insight!

jillms is offline   Reply With Quote