Help

Substitute Teachers

Can we take lunch for half day?

>

sunshinefun

Can we take lunch for half day?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At my district there are often half day jobs that go from 11:30 - 3pm. If the class has lunch from about noon - 12:30, and lunch is unpaid, are we supposed to skip eating lunch ourselves and go the office to see if they need help (if the teacher left no work for us to do at lunchtime and we don't have lunch duty)? Or can we actually eat lunch then? I ask because if we can't eat lunch on half days, I'll have to eat it before arriving at 11:30 am. Thank you.

sunshinefun is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 10-19-2017, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always just went with the flow. If you take your class to lunch, that is your lunch. If lunch has already passed, you don't take one.

Usually you will have planning OR lunch sometime after the half-day mark.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 10-20-2017, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my district you would need to eat lunch after your 1/2 day (morning) or before your 1/2 day (afternoon). I think most of the time the front office just assumes that the teacher left something for you to do during specials. They might call down and ask what you are doing if, say, a staff member went home unexpectedly sick or something.
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

What I do...
Old 10-20-2017, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Prefaced by the disclaimer that this might be a question best asked of your district. There may or may not be a policy or generally accepted practice.

I work a lot of half days because I'm willing to (and live close to the school). Most of them seem to be afternoons, and I arrive about 11:30 am. I assume I won't get a lunch break. Most of my transitions seem to take place while the kids are at lunch or lunch recess and I use the time (assuming I don't have a duty) to review and prepare for the afternoon. It's often a good time for the regular teacher and I to do a quick review of the afternoon's plans. If I have any downtime I go find my class and say "Hi," so they'll know I'm there.

I should perhaps also note that I am not paid hourly, I'm paid per diem.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

cattleya

Old 10-20-2017, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Over the summer I trained myself not to eat lunch, and just to go on 2 meals a day (money saving). I think a baggie of baby carrots or some other snack food is all that is needed for lunch. Maybe a bottle of water as well.

I wanted to do this because I rarely, if ever, actually got lunch when I subbed. It was usually either being a cafeteria monitor, playground monitor, or having duty in some other place. No one cares about Subs.

cattleya is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We eat lunch. And often the secretary will ask if I need to eat lunch. I have been in a lot of jobs that start in middle school at 11:30 and the first class of the afternoon does not start until 1:15. I'm sitting there for almost two hours reading and getting paid.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 10-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If lunchtime for your class is after you get there, you take lunch. The 11:30 start time for half days is always before lunch or right on time for K or 1st grade. I have never seen an earlier lunch. Why would you be made to skip lunch if you get paid per diem? That afternoon job is paid the half day rate and includes a lunch time. And that's a little bonus for us subs, take an afternoon job, and go to lunch within an hour of getting there. And an added bonus if the fourth, fifth, or sixth grade goes to PE with a PE teacher in the afternoon! I have had jobs like that.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote