Help

Special Education

Reading groups for self-contained classroom

>

Teachercat2

Reading groups for self-contained classroom
Old 10-20-2017, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am struggling with how to structure my reading groups in my self-contained classroom. I was wondering how others set theirs up? I have three reading levels and 2 out of the 3 groups are still emergent readers despite being second graders. I have about 20 minutes for each group. In the past, when I was a resource room teacher I would use a phonics program and do a 40 minute intervention skill lesson going through all the steps. However with this group, I am their only reading group so I feel like I need to incorporate both phonics and guided reading into a 20 min. Time frame. I also have no phonics program to use at this school, so I have been just making my own... (definitely not the best idea.). My school has the LLI program, but I think it is awful and clearly these kids have not been getting good results thus far, as many of them still can not blend or read. Anyway would love to hear what others do?!

Teachercat2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hailey18

Here’s what I do
Old 10-21-2017, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here’s how I set up my groups, but I’m not sure if you would have the time in your day. I have 3 different reading groups as well, two of them are pretty low. I have my classroom aide do a group of direct instruction, I take a guided reading group, and the others do independent work (we have a checklist of activities they can choose from and programs like RAZ Kids on the Chromebooks). In my group, I choose a leveled book, often from Reading A-Z. We practice reciprocal teaching strategies while reading, use graphic organizers, and try to apply the phonics skills they work on in their direct instruction group or in their Words Their Way sorts.

We rotate every half hour, so then the group I have might move to direct instruction or independent work and so on. I definitely have more ideas for you if you are interested! I am fortunate enough to have a reading instruction certification as well, so that really helps to know all the different options out there!
Hailey18 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

what disabilities do your students have?
Old 10-21-2017, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For students with Autism and Down Syndrome, evidence-based practices have shown that a sight word based program has better results. You could try See and Learn for students with DS and Edmark for students with Autism. Even my students with intellectual disabilities do really well with Edmark. I still expose them to phonics and phonetic awareness activities, but their progress is all really due to Edmark. The lessons are fast and include comprehension once a set of sight words have been mastered. Because the lessons are very predictable my students with Autism love doing them.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachercat2

Thank you!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would love some more ideas! I am at such a loss for how to help these kids learn best with limited time, behavior students, and just how much they struggle. They are second and third graders who are at a level A and B... they also have NO decoding strategies because no one has ever taught them. So they will just guess basically and make a lot of errors. They also all struggle with memory so retaining sight words is really hard, too. Any ideas are very appreciated!

Teachercat2

It varies
Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My students are mostly intellectually impaired (low IQ), learning disabilities in every area, I also have some autism and communication disabilities. They also all have pretty severe ADHD and behaviors.
I would be concerned with doing a sight word based program because most of my students have not retained any of the sight words they’ve learned in the 2-3 years they’ve been in school (from what I can tell.) I have one student who forgets things from day to day.
I thought if I taught them at least some phonics instruction they would have some decoding strategies to rely on instead of guessing.

Teachercat2

Another question..
Old 10-21-2017, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What levels/grades are your students? What does your aide do with them? Thank you!

momteachsis

answers
Old 10-22-2017, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My students are 2nd- 5th. See if you can get the Edmark program just to try. It scaffolds the words so it's not just memorizing and then moving on. It's a simple program that can be done on the computer or paper based.
We also use the Unique Learning system (ULS)for our Reading peogram. It has three levels in their monthly lessons. So I start with a read aloud and comprehension questions whole group. Then we split for rotations. One aide works on Edmark with the students (very quick). One of us works on guided reading using the ULS story for each child's level in small groups and the other aide works on either a vocabulary, comprehension, sequencing, or phonics lesson from ULS. ULS is our required curriculum but I can't really recommend it for great breakthroughs, more just exposure to our state standards.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote