Help

Special Education

Preschool SDC

>

pinacolada

Preschool SDC
Old 10-20-2017, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I'm an elementary school teacher but resigned last school year due to family related matters. My son is 3 years old and attends the preschool SDC in our district (we live in Santa Clara County, CA) 5x a week for 2 hours each day. He gets OT once a week and speech 2x a week (all in small group).

My son only has 4 words and babbles a lot and the kids he is getting pulled out with all are speaking 3-4 word sentences. Taking that into consideration and his extreme eating habits, I'm trying to get additional Speech, OT, and Feeding therapy through my husband's insurance but there are 1-2+ year long wait lists if you want a timing in the early afternoon or later. Although my son does need the social aspect of preschool, he needs a lot of 1 on 1 and I don't feel he is getting it. That having been said, can I call a meeting and tell the district that I only want my son to attend preschool 3x a week as opposed to 5? That would leave 2 days to devote to additional OT, Speech, and Feeding Therapy. I'm pretty sure I can do this but I thought I'd double check with the experts.

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am pretty sure that since preschool isn't legally required, you can do whatever you want, although I can't promise that. Every state and district seems to have their own rules. At the very least, yes you have a right to call a meeting whenever you want. So you can ask for the meeting and then see what the school recommends. They may have other programs that would be a better fit for him too, and that could be another option. I know in my district, we can get kids into more intensive programs significantly faster if parents are advocating for it.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

preschooler in SPED
Old 10-20-2017, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Pinacolada, I don't live far from you! My husband taught preschool SDC for years in nearby district and, unless something has changed, preschool is not mandatory.

As a school psych, I can tell you that if you do call a meeting and they want to continue to offer 5 days a week, there is a section on the IEP consent page that says "I agree to all parts of the IEP except __________" where you can write in something like "5 days a week of specialized academic instruction. I only want 3 days per week." If you change your mind, the 5 days a week offer will still be on the table.
eeza is online now   Reply With Quote