Help

Substitute Teachers

Anxiety when you don't have a job night before

>

Cetti

Anxiety when you don't have a job night before
Old 10-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else have bad dreams/sleepless nights/and just overall anxiety if they don't have a job the night before? If i don't have something by the time I go to bed, between 10 and 12, I can't even fall asleep. I use Sub Alert so that wakes me up also, but it can be for jobs I don't want (early elementary), 1/2 days (makes it more difficult to get a full day in many instances, unless it is a morning that gets out early, like in the MS), or not for the following day.
This is my 3rd year subbing, basically FT, and I do really rely on the income because it is my only job now (I used to waitress but it got to be too much).

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

You're definitely not alone
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been a sub since 2013.

I still hate the 4am job hunting.

I still can't deal with early elementary either.

The hardest part of subbing is dealing with no sleep.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

put your mind at ease
Old 10-23-2017, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wish I can help you with your anxiety and I wish you have strategies to get over it. Because of the random nature of this business as you know, sometimes you need to grab the 1st opportunity. By now, you prolly have a list of schools you want to go back to or not. You're not alone. You will get used to it. There's supply teachers I know who will not take a job if someone notifies them as late as 7:15 each morning. Ideally, just like you they'd rather get advance notice but it doesn't always occur. And then the opposite is true, I know some people that would get ready as early as 6 am and would wait for an assignment and out the door by 7:30. Some of them would wait in a park or go walking in malls with the rest of the mall walkers. It's is being a day labourer like in the Parable of Workers in a vineyard.
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

CC96

Day off
Old 10-23-2017, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Typically if I do not have a job by 9:00 the night before, I
mark myself as unavailable; that being said, I recognize that although I need to work daily and I typically do, I have a little bit of wiggle room, which I am thankful for.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 10-30-2017, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This has been a good year as I have worked 55 out of 57 days, but tomorrow might end my streak of luck.
My largest district is student free, and my 2nd district has early release or late start Tuesday, so I could strike out.

If so, I can always get a free grand slam at Denny's for my birthday, but having a Halloween birthday really s%^ks..

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote