Second Grade

End of Day Routine

>

short_bread

End of Day Routine
Old 10-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!

What is your end of the day routine? We have our special (art, gym etc.) during the last period of the day, so my kids need to pack up before we go. This is further complicated by the fact that they could not provide me with hooks for kids to hang their things so they have lockers! Some are upstairs, and some are downstairs. Whenever we start to clean up/pack up it goes from order to chaos. Its like herding cats and we lose a lot of time from our read aloud. What do you do to keep kids busy but able to be dismissed a few at a time? I would do a gonoodle, but for some of them, it amps them up even more. Others don't care about it. Ideas????

Thanks!

Kate

short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Team Puzzles
Old 10-24-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Divide your class into semi-permanent teams based on who you want to go to lockers at the same time. (Think about avoiding crowding, separating troublemakers, etc.)

Each day, provide an easy (for you) team puzzle, like:

How many words can you make from the letters in _________?
How many math problems can you write with the answer ______?
How many states can you name? (Give then a list of first letters.)

Send the teams out one at a time. They work on their puzzle when it's not their turn.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Gradechanger

Old 10-27-2017, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe try math coloring sheets, the "mystery picture" type-- after solving the problems, the kids follow the color code to color in the picture. Coloring is usually a soothing type of activity, I find.
Gradechanger is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 10-27-2017, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I read a chapter book (generally something a little too hard for them to read independently) aloud and call one table group at a time to get their stuff and pack up, then come back to the carpet ASAP. Usually they don't want to miss the story, so they're quick at their lockers and quiet when they come back in to get their stuff together.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

An idea
Old 10-29-2017, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Along the lines of what Lakeside said as far as teams...

Maybe have a team that goes upstairs and then 10 seconds later a team goes downstairs. As a person from each team comes back send the next person.

On YouTube there are calming videos with interesting visuals. Here’s an example.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bdnHKdb-Oss

The children not preparing to go home could either be on the carpet watching this or cleaning the room.

My students love the game “Doggie Doggie Where’s Your Bone?” Children not getting ready could play that until it is their turn. As children are ready to go they can join the game.

Loveslabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 10-29-2017, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have kindergarteners so this might not work... but we do freetime at the end of the day. I send kids a few at a time to pack up right before freetime or sometimes after freetime has already started. Either way they know the sooner they get packed up and ready to go the sooner they get to play or return to playing. I then have a music timer that goes off 2 minutes before we have to go to the bus. When the music goes off everyone cleans up and lines up. If they do it quickly enough I do a 1 minute brain break. I trained them with a timer on Dojo earlier in the year to clean up in under 2 minutes. If they didn't beat 2 minutes we took a minute of free choice the next day since we needed extra time to clean up. I occasionally have issues but mostly they do an excellent job of being lined up before the music even stops playing (it goes for 1 minute).
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote