Substitute Teachers

Frontline/Sub Alert Understanding

>

Mindfood

Frontline/Sub Alert Understanding
Old 10-25-2017, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All-

I'm adding a new District and they have just implemented the Frontline system as of Oct. 2nd. I've registered, set up my accounts and downloaded the SubAlert App, paying the monthly fee for text alerts. I've received two job notifications and immediately went to book them, like within 20 seconds of receiving the alert. But, it then informs me the "job is no longer available."
Now both of these occurred during the school day, and again, they were literally gone in seconds. Do the teachers put in the request to post a vacancy? If so, could they prearrange with a sub of their choice the time they will post and have the sub standing by to immediately accept the opening? Not that there's anything wrong with that, as I'm just trying to understand how the system works and what I'm up against. Thanks in advance for your input.

Mindfood is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

not unusual and you're right
Old 10-25-2017, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't be alarmed if job assignments disappear within seconds. There's a lot of thread about this actually but before you do any digging, as people may have mentioned this to you b4, it's better to network with the regular teachers by leaving them your contact info. At the same time you don't want to shove it down their throats especially if they already got their preferred subs. You're right in what you're noticing.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Yep
Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You are not the only one who has paid the fees and they are faster with the fingers to grab the job.

When I went online to check jobs and looked at the list I kept next to the computer with places to avoid, the job often disappeared during eyes on screen, eyes on paper, eyes back to screen.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
TiredSub

TiredSub

Yeppers
Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have teachers ask me to stand next to them to take the job as soon as it posts to ensure I get it. I encourage them to just ask the front office to put me in directly, but they say it's easier to just have me stand there. I have no idea what they will do if someone is faster than me at grabbing it lol. These are teachers that have me listed as their preferred sub, but have found the system doesn't always give me first dibs despite my "preferred sub" status.

Sublime

Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To TiredSub: it is not difficult for the teacher to put your name into the job. A teacher did it in front of me last week. When putting in the absence all they do is click on a couple extra items to find your name. Now if they aren't allowed to do it by school policy, that's different.

Original post: everyone is right, you may be right at your computer/phone and the job is gone before you can accept it. Not unusual.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

thecoast

ReadySub
Old 10-26-2017, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

is the system DirectEd uses. Sometimes I wonder if a sub is using a bot to automate job snatching.
thecoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 10-30-2017, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I believe that teachers can enter their first five choices in order of preference, but I do not think they can narrow it down to one.

I do get preferred sub notifications in my e-mail, but the jobs are often put in in the morning and I do not see it until I am home in the afternoon, so I actually get the jobs less than 50% of the time.

Sometimes the system calls my cell phone with a preferred sub notification, and when I answer I always get the job.

However, sometimes this notification comes in while I am in class so I do not answer, and I miss the job.

It is ironic that we are not allowed to use our phones during instruction time, but that the sub system calls us while we are teaching.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 10-30-2017, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Everyone here is answering the OP's question based on their experience but every district I sub for is different. I don't have any districts where a teacher can put the job into the system. I have at least one district where the district office must put the job in and the local school has no control. In other districts, a secretary will ask if I'm available the next day or other days, and can put me in a job on the spot. There is also a difference in the type of jobs. In some districts, certain types of vacancies such as training must be approved by the district office, while things like sick or personal days can be assigned by the school secretary.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfood

Thank you!
Old 10-31-2017, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you to all who responded! I now have a clearer understanding. Be well everyone.
Mindfood is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

If you still check this:
Old 11-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It is normal where I work to call a sub you want ahead of time to see if they will take the job. If they are available, you enter the job. You check off that it has been agreed upon that ___ will sub. I am not sure if that is what is happening to you or not. The person who agreed to accept the job looks out for the notification and accepts. Plus, every now and then our admin gets a wild hair and decides who should get the job. This is kind of shady to me. It seems like they promised a sub 1st shot at jobs. It is odd too cus often the subs they want, are not the ones most teachers would pick. Best advice: Give teachers your number. I know it is a PITA probably, but the teachers I know usually ( almost always) find a sub before ever posting the job.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote