Help

Gifted Education

Where to start?

>

NewTea'cheer'

Where to start?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've just been thrust into doing pull-out for GT 4th-6th grade and I have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions, tips, ideas would greatly be appreciated!

NewTea'cheer' is offline   Reply With Quote

Eliza

What kind of pull-out?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is this a general kind of pull-out or is it for specific content? Does the school have any kind of idea about the basics?
Eliza is offline   Reply With Quote

cmjd2010

After School
Old 11-12-2017, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do an after school GATE program for 4-5 graders. I start the year asking what the students want, and try to incorporate their wishes into my plans. I have done a unit on Greek Mythology, STEM challenges (they love those!), Hour of Code, teaching them to use PowerPoint and Excel. Last year we did the Pringles Challenge, where we mailed one Pringle to another school to see if it would arrive in one piece. I am lucky to be able to have flexibility in what we do, and hope you have fun with your students!
cmjd2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 11-13-2017, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you have flexibility with your program you are in luck! There are so many possibilities. I would start with a multiple intelligences survey to get an idea of the preferences of your students. This one is pretty easy to use.

From there you can start choosing activities/units. Novel studies can be an easy entry point. I have taught chess to 4th grade students. I have used the Hands on equations for math enrichment. My favorite are STEM activities. We also have a good time with green screen and coding activities. There are so many free resources out there. I just got back from the National Association for Gifted Convention in Charlotte. I got a ton of cool ideas for students to write poetry, short stories, or novels and even create their own choose your own adventure books. There are so many possibilities, you really just need to pick a direction and move forward.
Enjoy!
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote