Help

Substitute Teachers

Feedback form

>

Mikhail

Feedback form
Old 10-26-2017, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A colleague shared with me a feedback form he was asked to complete (if he had wanted to) and here are their questions:
1) Were you given enough information? Comments.
2) Were you able to follow the teacher's plan? Comments.
3) Please list situations/issues/accidents that might require follow up.
4) Was there school assistance when you (or someone) needed it? Comments.
5) Was the information left in the substitute folder useful? Comments.
6) Additional comments or suggestions.
7) Briefly describe what you accomplished today with students and leave in classroom for the teacher.

Who would have the time?

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-26-2017, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I have seen these a few times in sub folders. I always ignore them and just write a very short note the way I always do. It hasn't affected my workload at all.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
TayloedSub

TayloedSub

Who has the time
Old 10-26-2017, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I too receive feedback forms to complete online or at the school. I don't care for them as most teachers know their students. In addition, there is no way that you can be honest as a substitute without it back firing on you. I'm sure many of us would have less jobs if we were honest. No sir, I lie or make vague statements on feedback forms.

Who has the time to pay attitude to the details when you're just trying to get through the day. It's not always possible to know student names and we're constantly being shuffled around a school with only lunch break. Who has the time?

Tapdancesub

Old 10-26-2017, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Most days, I don't have time to use the bathroom before lunch. So no I don't complete those forms. I leave my standard note, what we accomplished, general comments about class level of understanding (math), and a few vague general comments about class behavior as a whole. Last year I was honest about a class's behavior and I have paid for it dearly. This is from a school I have subbed regularly, and covered a class long term under very difficult circumstances. Less said the better, lessons learned.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Old 10-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Who reads this stuff? Does an administrator have time to read this? I'm wondering if they might get some response if it's multiple choice.

subasaurus

It's a trap
Old 10-26-2017, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with these comments. Be careful what you write. Always. Don't be honest unless there was a physical altercation or terribly offensive bullying statements used by a student against another. Even then be vague or brief.

Remember, subs are always guilty until proven innocent. We get in trouble for other student's trouble.

Sad but true.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Similar to Aesop's feedback questions
Old 10-26-2017, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I sometimes fill them out when I'm bored and checking out Aesop.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wellson

Depends
Old 10-27-2017, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If I am roving its difficult to get to an extra form. I don't even leave my standard note most times when roving if I am only in a class for about an hour, just a quick jot on a post-it. However, if I am in a class all day I find there is plenty of time for an extra form. If it asks all the stuff I would normally leave anyway I just use their form and save mine.
I am definitely in the minority here but I do let the teacher know if the class was not behaving or listening well. It has never caused me any issues. I figure it may help the next sub out or help the teacher/school know why they have trouble filling sub assignments.
Wellson is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

teacher requested form filled out
Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The teacher I was subbing for requested I fill out the form her supervisor (art/music division) would get feed back on how well she was leaving plans.
So I filled one out, other times, I answer one or two questions, if I like the teacher to give them a good report, in case anyone is listening.
If job was terrible, I never write it down in a "who know where it goes " form. Ouch! I am sure it would bite.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Feedback may be an art...
Old 10-28-2017, 01:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

While some discretion would be in order when replying, I think these are reasonable questions, particularly since answering is optional. It sounds like an attempt to put some structure on a sub's report to the regular teacher. Questions 2, 3 and 7 are, I think, required information--we don't use a form, but I leave a synopsis that covers them whenever I sub.

I've had individual teachers ask me some of the other questions because they truly want to know the answers. One teacher I work with regularly often asks me if she's giving me enough -- or too much -- information. I've made a couple of suggestions and she's taken them. She's also helped new teachers do a better job with writing sub plans.

If we want our relationships with regular teachers to improve, we have to be prepared to address issues. I'm not suggesting spending an hour filling out a form like this (which seems a bit of an overkill), but making a few points here and there just might make a difference. The challenge is to keep it from becoming a complaint form. For example, I might say, "We lost some time today during a transition because I didn't realize..." That's different than "You didn't give me enough information."

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

what IS helpful
Old 10-28-2017, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

As part of a feedback, I think it's important to state facts and observations based on the lesson plan/instructions provided. Of course it's important to state our observations of students too because it is about their safety and welfare.

In general it is important to state what might prove useful for the regular teacher like

Quote:
"We lost some time today during a transition because I didn't realize..."
I definitely agree that framing statements to avoid tones of lamentation may be in order. I still think that it's quicker if some feedbacks are in multiple-choice .

Sirsubalot

Old 10-30-2017, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Only one of my three districts provides these forms, but they are intended to be brief. I do believe the Principals read them.
If I am told to put it in the teachers box, then i know only the teacher sees it.

if I have more to say, I will add in the extra comments section to " see classroom report in room for more details.

My favorite school in one of my districts has one flaw that prevents me from taking more jobs there, and that is that they will not give men subs there own outdoor restroom key. We have to take it off the wall in the office and hope it is there.
Last year they lost for two weeks so I has to borrow the office managers key.

What is most frustrating is that this school has three single stall restrooms all marked womens, and three others for either sex, yet we don't get a key for any of them. Two of the womens rooms do not need a key.

I know the Principal reads these forms so I wrote in the comments section that this is the best school in the district, but that its one flaw is that they will not give us our own restroom key.

The one on the wall only opens up one of the restrooms, which is the only one marked men's.

I know they will not change, but I still wanted to vent.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

beachgirl07

Old 11-08-2017, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Exactly! Who would have the time? I bring in my own substitute report form that I print from home. I fill in the following questions:
While you were out....
1. Absent
2. Students who went above and beyond.
3. Students who needed a lot of reminders.
4. Comments/Concerns
beachgirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote