Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Tara West vs Deedee Wills & Deanna Jump

>

kfranklin1313

Tara West vs Deedee Wills & Deanna Jump
Old 10-27-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! I am interested in purchasing either Tara Westís KinderLiteracy or Deedee Wills and Deanna Jumpís Guiding Readers.

I currently teacher kindergarten and have 27 students. Of those students, 5 are ELL and 15 are in remedial. My students are also very behavioral this year.

Iím hoping someone can give me input on which program would be better for my class.

Thank you!!!!

kfranklin1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

mandamouse123

Old 10-29-2017, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have both, bought when they were still growing bundles. I prefer Deanna Jump/DeeDee Wills Guiding Readers. It's hard at the beginning of the year, but I find the stories are better for K. I still don't follow the plans like they are written-- it's too much for K, but I find everything to be much better quality. I can go into more detail about how I change things around, if you're interested.

I think Tara West's is easier, but by this time of year, it's already too easy. The formatting and lesson plans are also confusing, not organized well, and I find many of the books to be too hard or not engaging for Kindergarten. Plus, a lot of them are out of stock because so many people have bought them.

Let me know if you have any other questions-- I have a ton of opinions about this topic!
mandamouse123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 10-29-2017, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my first year in Kindergarten and I use all of Deanna Jump/DeeDee Wills curriculum for reading and math. I find it to be very well written. My only qualm with the guiding readers unit is it does not spend much time on letter identification in the word work lessons so I usually have to do my own thing with word work. The very first unit of word work starts with children matching sounds and pictures. Several of my kindergarteners started the year without knowing letter names so starting with sounds sounded like a bad idea. I really enjoy the stories she selected for the guided read alouds and many can be found read on YouTube if you can't find a copy of it. For the work done with the guided read alouds I use the little slips she gives in a writing notebook as I find the pages with lines are more appropriate for first graders. My kindergarteners are still all working on drawing a illustration and some very basic labeling. I have one who can write short sentences. However, I am stressing having them stretch and spell rather than giving them words to copy.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote