Help

Fourth Grade

Unpacking the Standards

>

PearlSBuck

Unpacking the Standards
Old 10-28-2017, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As part of the never ending workload placed upon us, we have now been asked to UNPACK the common core standards for ELA and Math. Principal supplied a template for us to use and expects us to complete 2 -3 standards during a half day teacher in-service day per teacher. I assume we will be asked to do this for all the common core standards before the year is over!
My big questions are WHY do such a thing and HOW will it make me a better teacher? I have been teaching for over 30 years. I like to think I know what I am doing and don't shy away from new concepts and curriculum spending many hours of my own time researching and reading new ways to instruct in the classroom.
This latest 'busy' project appears to follow in the footsteps of many of the items we as educators are asked to do which more times than not, end up being shelved in a year or two! (Danielson Portfolio)
Does anyone else have this as a task? Does anyone have some of this already written or can share where I can go to make this an easier process? I am willing to do the work but only when I feel it will actually make me a better teacher and my students better learners. This just seems like a way to "fill an in-service day" to satisfy the school board.
Thanks for any words of wisdom and suggestions!

PearlSBuck is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-28-2017, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think most of using CCSS were asked to unpack them once or twice already. I don't understand how that helps either. And if they need to be unpacked, why not include that in the standards so millions of teachers don't have to do the same exact thing. Can't even imagine how many hours have been spent doing this.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Unpacked standards
Old 10-28-2017, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you Google/Bing it, you'll come up with lots of resources. The link below takes you to one of my favorite resources for the standards. It's not "unpacked" but I think the question stems that they have make it easier to understand the standards.

Hope it helps!
Dee

http://commoncore.tcoe.org/content/p...ks_grade_4.pdf

this looks pretty good, they are "unpacked"
http://commoncoreiss.pbworks.com/f/4...2BDocument.pdf

http://www.anderson.k12.ky.us/Downlo...al%20Order.pdf

Last edited by Tulips; 10-28-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

unpacking
Old 10-29-2017, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think when we're asked to do this, in our district, it means someone is not teaching the standards and so everyone kind of gets punished! We all have to go through the unpacking stage. And now since there were some changes, we had to meet and review those again. It wasn't as bad though. And truthfully, it does open some dialogue. One teacher thinks the standard means one thing and another believes something different.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

PearlSBuck

unpacking
Old 10-29-2017, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your ideas and insight. It's really tiresome to continue to reinvent the wheel and I miss the days of having FUN with the kids while they learned!! Guess it's getting close to retirement!

PearlSBuck

Old 10-29-2017, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So TRUE...about the punishment for all!

Ucan

Quick and Easy
Old 11-01-2017, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm surprised your administrators are just getting around to unpacking the standards now - that in itself suggests some degree of negligence. Like you, I also taught for over 30 years and jumped through so many hoops that I could do it in my sleep (and probably dreamed about do so more than once). You're right unpacking anything is just a code word for busywork!

As with most busywork, there's usually a quick and easy way to get it done. I happily deleted them from my iPad when I retired, but recall using several apps that allow the user to pull up any common core curriculum standard. Here's one that I used: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comm...439424555?mt=8

If you are not given a template to fill out for your inservice work sessions, make up your own and simply grab the relevant standards from the app. Some apps also provide suggested instructional objectives that you can similarly use to complete your template. Hope this helps!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote